Sunday, August 17, 2008

I was thinking tonight how interesting it is how we carry irrational fears with us from our childhood. Tonight I was at work, and I was closing and getting ready to vacuum the store. I had already locked the door and I was standing unrolling the cord, just watching people walk by outside. All of a sudden, from around the corner comes a person dressed in a gorilla suit- masked and everything. I nearly jumped out of my skin. It was with a group of teenagers, and behind him was walking some guy dressed as some weird character I didn't recognize. Ok, so I jumped, yeah, big deal- as they walked by the front of our store, I squatted down on the floor and hid behind some shelves! I have no idea why- my heart was racing and I felt so scared of that gorilla costume. I felt pretty stupid afterwards, because the door was locked and everything.

I kinda felt like Toula from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, when she always squats down to hide from the guy she likes. Only I was hiding because I was scared. Haha, I have no idea why either! I used to have nightmares about gorillas when I was little, because of a 3 Stooges episode I once watched with a gorilla in it.

The AC at work was broken today. It was sooo miserable! But I feel so spoiled. All I could do was complain because I had to spend five and a half hours with no AC- yet there are plenty of people around the world that can live without it. Anyway, both of us felt sick because of it, and I came home and my head has felt really heavy all night. Ick.

Well, hurricane season is in full swing now. We'll see how the next few days play out. Hopefully nothing too damaging.

Church today, and we had a congregational meeting to officially concur with the Session that Pastor Phil can leave. I actually had to leave early and didn't even get to finish the sermon, but my mom said it was really sad. Sometimes I still feel really upset about the whole thing. But Mr. Harper came into our SS class and announced that they would like a group of twenty-somethings to have some input with the search committee. I might like to do that, but we'll see. Everything seems completely up in the air right now.

We sang Be Thou My Vision in church and it nearly brought me to tears, as it often does when I hear it. That was one of my favorite songs my senior year of high school, when I was going through a difficult time with my faith. God has been really good to me these past several years (and why would I ever think He could be anything else?). I sometimes feel like He isn't doing anything in my life right now, but sometimes it's through silence that God speaks. Which, interestingly enough, was one of our topics in Sunday school this morning. I shall speak of that another time. For now, I need to go drink some water and try to relax a bit before bed.

No comments: