Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Beginning

So far, so good. Classes went well yesterday. Nothing too terribly exciting. They will be the easier classes. Adult health is the one to worry about- that lecture isn't until Friday so I think that will be when I feel truly overwhelmed. There is a lot to do this semester. I had clinical orientation today at the hospital, and that went well. The first two hours was just a bunch of boring stuff we are required to know, and then we got a tour of the hospital. I know I will get lost when I go in, I know it! Next week I get to do the whole day in the OR- I'm so excited!!! I think that will be my favorite day- and I will find out just how squeamish I might be. So far I haven't been, but I haven't seen anything really super disgusting- although I honestly think that the smells are the hardest thing to handle.

I took my medication dose calculation test yesterday and passed. If you don't pass (passing for this test is a 95 or above) by the second opportunity, you will be forced to withdraw from the program. Yesterday was my first try, and when I finished it said I got a 90 out of 100. I just felt sick and wanted to cry, so I went upstairs to go over it with my teacher. When she looked it up, it turned out that the computer made the mistake. Talk about relief! Even though I knew I had one more chance, all I could think was that I could do the same thing again and then have to withdraw. I was already going through all that in my head, and thankfully my teacher was there so we could look at it right away. Otherwise I would have been sick over it all day. After that, there was a nurse practitioner student who had to do a head-to-toe physical assessment walk-through, and so I volunteered to be the patient. It ended up taking an hour, but I actually learned a lot from watching someone else do it. I will be doing a lot of that this semester.

Whew! Day 2 and already I'm exhausted. I had a lot of coffee today, ha! I don't have class until Friday morning now, which is nice. Wednesdays and Thursdays will probably be when I do most of my community work. Ahh, well from now on probably this blog will be filled with stuff about school- because that is now my entire life. And I love it, I really do! We'll see if I'm saying that a month from now.

One year ago, I was just starting in the program. I was scared, and nervous, afraid I wouldn't even make it through the first semester. I felt like I knew nothing, and the next two years seemed insurmountable. I can't believe it has been a whole year. Honestly, I still feel like a newbie, I don't feel like I know as much as I thought I would by this time, but hopefully I will be able to have better recall than I think. This is supposed to be the hardest semester of all, and I hope I make it through. Yes, there is that fear of failing. I hate it, but I'm going to work hard and trust God.

I feel like I have written a novel here so I'm going to be going now. I'm going to take a nap, and try to get some reading done.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I don't think you will be squeamish. But then you really dont' know until you go in. It seems pretty much the norm for me, you know. You will have a good time, as long as you have a good group of people there to observe!!
There is a Scrubs marathon on Monday on TV Land. Interesting. My work is not like it, but its fun in a different way!
Now I'm off for 10 days...