Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Beach, School, Thoughts, and Time

Can you believe it- I can say I went to the beach on a warm, pleasant day in February! In a bathing suit and sundress! Does it get any better? That's what I did on Saturday. I took my book and beach towel and laid on the beach reading-- yes, by myself. I have never done that before, and it was one of the most relaxing things I've ever done. It was sunny, warm, and very crowded. Sometimes Florida has its perks, and the beach is definitely one of them. As much as I want to move away, the beach is something I would miss very much. I have never lived more than 30 minutes away. I have never been a sun goddess but I do love the sun and I love the beach. Perhaps I need to re-think this whole moving-away business.

I'm at the library, and thus far have been somewhat productive. I finished a care plan, finished a rough draft of a focus sheet, completed an online test, and have gotten semi-started on studying for OB. OB is no cakewalk, let me tell you. I almost wish I'd had it first so I could be moving on to the fun part- pediatrics! I will miss peds a lot- I do now.

First day of OB clinical on Monday went... well, it went. It just wasn't a good day. The clinical part was fine, however it was crazy and I never got to finish paperwork that is due by the end of the day. That was very frustrating for me, because I had to hand it in and now my teacher's first impression of me is that of a slacker. I hate that! I usually spend time on written work, and I complete it. Handing it in incomplete goes so against the grain for me. I'm mortified just imagining what she thinks of me now!

Yesterday I was in the NICU. It was pretty cool. I saw a teeny tiny baby born at 26 weeks, and it disgusts me to think of a child like that being aborted were it still in the womb. Yet that's what could potentially be happening! How can people justify abortion? I don't ever imagine Roe v. Wade being overturned, but people's hearts need to be changed towards it. Too many people don't care, and don't even know how much of a miracle pregnancy and birth are. Even I didn't know until studying it.

Life goes on, spring break is in a week and a half, and the semester is over in a month and a half. Time flies.

3 comments:

Callie Glorioso-Mays said...

You made me SOOO jealous talking about the beach! I totally wish that I could join you for a day in the sun! Keep me updated on OB rotation, okay?

pannedreview said...

Yeah I think we've gotten kind of numb on abortion. We forget how horrible it truly is. I was watching Seinfeld and Elaine mentioned that she didn't like a certain restaurant because the owner supported "fanatical anti-abortion groups." And then someone yelled at her in the episode, "who gives you the right to abort?" And she replied, "the supreme court!"

Not enough people go beyond that and question whether or not the supreme court had any right to do that back in 1973. If abortion is so obviously not murder, then why not put the issue to a vote on a state-by-state basis?

Natalie said...

What really gets me- how have we gotten to the point where "rights" are more important than life itself? How has it come to that?