This is me. I'm a size 12. And, I'm ok with that fact. I am actually more than ok with it, I can look in the mirror and like what I see.
My heart breaks for girls who look in the mirror and obsess over every last curve, over every pound. It really does. I used to be one of them. I used to abhor what I saw every day, the stomach I saw as too fat, the arms I labeled "mama's arms" (they never were or are) and the thighs that no matter how hard I exercised, were always touching. I hated myself. I thought I was ugly. And it's true that at times I do still fall into this mindset. I don't think there's a girl who doesn't.
I see these young girls striving so hard to attain what the world says is beautiful. Exercise more. Eat less. Count calories. Go tanning, because tan fat looks better than white fat. It makes me sick. We work so hard on the things that don't even matter, and yet there is no emphasis on building one's character, on learning to be a beautiful person inside. I'm not saying don't care about taking care of yourself, or looking good. Goodness knows I love buying clothes and make up and hair accessories. I love it when I've lost a few pounds and people notice.
I wish people could appreciate themselves. I wish I could.
2 comments:
I meant to comment on this a lot sooner. I want to commend you for speaking the truth. Too many people I know (beautiful people who I love dearly!) are entirely too focused on our screwed up society's version of 'beauty' which equates to shallowness, obsession and goodness knows how many poor kids with eating disorders.
As for you, I think the picture is great and who cares if you're a size 12? You're beautiful; you're healthy --that's what counts!
Thanks! I am sometimes afraid people think I'm being pretentious when I talk about this but I'm really not. I truly am happy with the way I look, and am incredibly saddened by the way our society makes women and girls feel about their bodies. We are boiled down to the number on our clothes tag rather than who we really are. I don't believe we would have nearly the issues with overweight/underweight girls if image wasn't our focus. I just feel I've seen a lot of girls go through even worse issues (i.e. depression, emotional disturbances, etc) as a result of their obsessions with eating/weight/size etc.
Post a Comment