I hate that this is a subject I happen to be pondering this week, as it is honestly not triggered by Valentine's Day at all.
First of all, I don't hate Valentine's Day. I actually love it, even if I've never been able to get a date for it. Even if the only valentines I get are from my parents or my little brother. I think people who are bitter about this holiday are seriously petty. No offense if you are one of them.
I was talking with my good friend Amanda today. She and I go way back-- way back. Now she's married, and we hang out with baby in tow, and it's so much fun! We were having fun remembering good times, some of them being her single days when we were much more carefree, and I was much younger (she is 5 years older than me). I guess we didn't know it, but life was pretty carefree then. And on another note, my life is still pretty danged carefree, considering I don't have a husband and baby to worry about. Amanda didn't get married until she was almost 27, so she was remembering how hard it was sometimes.
I'm 24 this June. Ok, so not exactly old, but I was talking with my little sister last week about how even though I'm still young, it is still hard to let go of the fact that it hasn't happened. I thought I would get married when I was 22. Straight out of college. I always thought that, I remember being 8 years old and thinking that. I'm not of the belief that because it didn't happen it will never happen, but there are days I have a hard time with it.
It is hard to be at this point, and realize that those things didn't happen the way I had always dreamed- and don't look like they will any time soon. It's difficult to think that life has seemingly been happening to "everyone but me," and yes, it is difficult to be alone. I'm not bitter about it, please don't think that. I don't spend every waking moment dwelling on this. It's almost a non-issue in my life, but there are days it is hard. Sure, sometimes I turn on a sappy movie and eat straight out of the ice cream carton and feel sorry for myself. But I wake up the next morning and get on with my life.
Ah!! I hate that this is what I'm writing about three days before Valentines Day. But here I am doing it. I hate when single people play the bitter card and declare Valentine's Day to be canceled or whatever else their bitterness brings them to do.
Well, I'm off to meet with one of my nursing school buddies who I haven't seen since graduation. I get to meet her little baby girl for the first time too. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment