Saturday, November 6, 2010

Washington, DC: The Second Day

Waiting for the hotel elevator at the beginning of our second day.

After a visit to Alex Charles at work in DC,
We took a trip to the Arlington Cemetary.
Very solemn and very impressive.

Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
If you haven't gotten a chance to see this, you should.
I believe everyone should see this once in their lifetime.
It is beyond impressive.

We took a walk over the Potomac from the Arlington Cemetary
to the Lincoln Memorial.


Florida represent at the WWII Memorial

We never did go up into the Washington Monument.
But we took many fun pictures around it.

We ended Friday night with Allison's friends,
Alex and Pamela. Look at all of us beautiful girls!

I remember starting off day 2 incredibly exhausted. I think my only regret about our trip is that we were unable to ever really rest, making us really tired most of the time. But Friday was a good day. Arlington Cemetery, as usual, was one of my favorite parts of the day. It is very solemn and serious when you tour the cemetery out of respect for not only the dead, but the families who come and visit the graves of loved ones. Apparently on average 27 people per day are buried there.

We took what felt like a very long, windy walk over the Potomac River all the way to the Lincoln Memorial. I never realized how close everything is in DC-- Arlington Cemetery being in Virginia, I had always assumed it was really far away from DC. I can now say I have walked the distance and it really isn't very far.

That night we went to Allison's friend, Alex's apartment where her friend Pamela was also. We went out to dinner at a place called Ben's Chili Bowl followed by dancing at a club called Policy. Not the highlight of my week, but I'm not much of a dancer so that's why.

Friday was also the first day that it got cold-- and it never warmed up the rest of the week. I was glad, although definitely not used to that kind of weather. Another thing-- we got to see fall!! If you know FL you know that real fall does not exist. No orange, red, yellow anywhere. That was my favorite part of our trip to DC. Can't wait to show the Mt. Vernon pictures-- that will have to wait a couple more days.

No comments: