Monday, November 8, 2010

My Cross

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."
-Luke 9:23

A simple command. Simple, yet probably one of the most difficult.

Jesus didn't promise the life of following Him to be a walk in the park. In fact, His promise was that it is at great cost.

I have subscribed far too long to a touchy-feely, me-centered gospel. I have complicated His words, I have let my eyes stray away, I have been His wandering sheep. When I have not felt His love for me, I have doubted it completely.

What do I need to deny myself? Comfort, complete happiness (in the world's view), potentially bad friendships? What is my cross to take up? Depression, doubt, fear, loneliness-- to name a few. Nowhere does the Bible promise a life free from these.

I have come to realize that all of those things are not just a struggle of mine-- but of every other Christian. I have selfishly felt sorry for myself, wallowed too long in self pity. I have complained against the Most High God, I have told Him that He is doing everything wrong.

"And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple." -Luke 14:27

No comments: