Friday, November 5, 2010

Washington, DC: The First Day

Allison, ever faithful working out early most mornings.
While I still laid in bed, watching Fox and Friends.
Pretty typical. These quiet mornings, however,
Were some of my favorite moments of the trip. Oddly enough.

I was so excited to see Michelle Obama's dress!
Am I her biggest fan? No.
But she is a tall woman and I love her style.
So naturally, it was exciting to see a First Lady dress
That I might be able to fit into myself!

Me, trying my hand at the Presidency.
Do I remind you of Ronald Reagan?

Military nurses in WWII!

After a good five hours of Smithsonian fun,
We hopped the metro over to Eastern Market
Where we ate at this restaurant whose name I can't remember.

I ate a delicious butternut squash soup.
It felt like fall. For real.

Well, this is on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue
And another street I can't remember.
After all of our exhausting touring on only the first day,
We were ready for a delicious cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Yes, Starbucks.

Just a little light reading in Starbucks.
Constitution anyone?


Before we left for our trip, we made a joke about how we were going to "pull our pants down and slide on the ice." (Weird, I know... it's a quote from an old tv show... ever heard of Even Stevens?) In other words, this trip, though planned many months ago, was actually very spontaneous from day to day. We went in with a hotel and a rental car, but other than that we really had no idea how this trip was going to go down.

Our first day in DC was... amazing! Honestly I think we were mainly just so excited about the fact that we were in DC. We started off in the Museum of American History (which we spent more than three hours in-- we laughed about how tired we were after only our first museum of the trip), moved along to Natural History, with a lunch break in between that and the United States Archives. If you ever make your way to DC, I suggest the Archives be one of your priorities. Amazing.

We ended the day with our sunset walk back to the Smithsonian metro. Many a goofy pictures were taken there with the silhouette of the monuments in the background. If nothing else, I wish I could go back and recapture our excitement on that first day and keep it with me all the time.

No comments: