I had another great day at clinical today! Pretty crazy in the morning, but a great day indeed.
In some ways, this semester I have felt so disillusioned by nursing and the medical field in general. I see nurses who are over-worked and stressed, who are under-appreciated and even some who can't take the time to do so many of the things that a nurse should do. I see some that don't love what they do. I see doctors who don't seem to really care about their patients, who strut around telling nurses what to do, and treat patients like projects rather than people. That's not to say that they are all like that, or even a majority of them like that (really, it is a small majority but they seem to stand out the most), but it is so frustrating when a doctor walks into a room, doesn't know a patient's name, and leaves less than five minutes later. While I highly respect doctors and realize that their jobs are even crazier than nurses', it still frustrates me to no end that some of them can't take the little extra effort to treat patients like people.
I hope that when I graduate and start my career, I don't lose sight of why I'm doing this. I don't want to treat patients like they are nothing but their diagnosis. I want to know them, to advocate for them, make them feel as comfortable as possible, to help give them the best quality of life possible for them. Yet I feel as if this is impossible, because people tell me you become jaded when you get out into the field. I don't want that to happen, and how can I prevent it? I have come to see why some nurses don't last very long.
I have seen some nurses who love what they do, who love their patients, and love to share their knowledge. These are the nurses that I want to be like. And I have to note that I have seen a lot of great doctors as well, and can't praise what they do enough. I don't want to convey a dislike of doctors, because I have always respected them. I just understand now why there is such a shortage of nurses.
I'm tired. I'm going to eat supper and watch the debate. And I will sleep well tonight. I'm loving what I'm doing. It will be a great career!
3 comments:
I don't comment very often but I read every one of your postings and I am so proud of you. I know you will be an awesome nurse. I think you will have no trouble with being jaded because the love that you will be sharing does not come from you but from an eternal and perfect source. I know you are not perfect but He is and you will be the instrument in His hands. Keep up the good work.
Ah...I think I am a bit jaded from working full time. But, I am feeling so much better in my job. Now I'm RN status, no more GN. When are you coming to see me??
I am encouraged as I read your post and I second Liz's comment.
You share a love that is deeper, wider, and more constant than any human love. Which doesn't mean you won't become overwhelmed, worn out, and frustrated sometimes.
But Jesus has brought you this far and He'll sustain you, even on those days when you're wondering why you ever chose this career.
You are bringing the Kingdom! Love you, miss you.
Post a Comment