Apparently I offended somebody with my last post. Greatly.
That was not my intention in posting it. I didn't craft that post to hurt anyone, and I hope that none of you think that. It wasn't directed at any specific person. I wrote it to talk about all the most common blogs that I've seen, because quite honestly it's all kind of amusing when you think about it. That's all it was meant to be, even if I was more critical of one over the others.
I did not publicly call anyone out. I would never, ever do that.
I wrote a second post on here last night before being addressed by this person. It was somewhat of a sequel to what I spoke about, because the whole idea of women who at times over-glorify their husbands was on my mind throughout the rest of that day. I don't just see it in blogs. I see it on facebook, I see it at church, it's everywhere, often from people who I love dearly (and not from everybody-- but it's there). There isn't one person who does it that I was trying to call out. I limited what I was saying to blogs, because I was blogging about blogs. Plain and simple. I read several blogs that do this. I wasn't going to call out any of them individually, I was simply expressing my opinion on the subject. It was honesty, whether it was right or wrong.
Maybe someday you'll get to see that post I wrote last night. It was funny. It wasn't about anybody, it was about a lot of scenarios I have seen. I write about a lot of things, none of which are meant to pick on anyone or gossip. Read through my blog from the last three years and never once will you see me individually pick on a person, or gossip about an individual.
A lot of what I said yesterday are things that have been bouncing around in my head for awhile now. It wasn't stemming from a sudden impulse to inflict pain or hurt feelings. Perhaps my apology at the end was half-hearted, because I could have deleted everything I said. But perhaps it was also something that needs to be said. I am seldom one to mince words. Sometimes it is to a fault, which was probably the case yesterday. Also, what I said wasn't an exhaustive description of what I think about marriage (nothing about my blog is exhaustive of who I am as a person or what I believe! As I said yesterday, you all already know why I blog). I think marriage is wonderful. I have seen wonderful examples of marriage all my life, and have never had reason to believe anything negative about marriage.
If I offended any one else, I'm truly sorry. I'm not going to censor my posts anymore when it comes to the subject of dating, marriage, singleness, etc (or anything else, really). I have a great fear of being pegged as the insecure, bitter single cat lady, and even when I wrote what I did yesterday I knew I was treading dangerous waters-- but I was still writing what I see. Because truly, I don't live a miserable existence as a single woman. Do I have occasional bouts of feeling sorry for myself? Yes. Like how sometimes I feel sorry for myself because my nursing job is hard, even though I chose it. Sometimes you'll also hear how I love it. Sometimes you'll hear about my struggles through it. It's about being real. All of us have a lot of crap in our lives we wish we didn't. Single or married, life is hard. But my point is that in Christianity, we often want marriage to look like it is the ultimate fulfillment of life, and the truth is it's not. (Disclaimer: I am not calling anyone out nor insinuating that any individual who reads this blog says or believes this)
I didn't know there were bad marriages until I was probably in college, or at least didn't see them as a reality. That is the honest to God truth. I still believe strongly in marriage, regardless of those I have seen fail. I am thankful to God that my parents have such a strong love for each other and for Him. I have grandparents who always modeled the same. I have many friends as well who are happily married, some for more than a few years. Yesterday's post wasn't a jab at marriage.
And maybe I don't have to defend all of this to anyone. But the fact that anybody thought that, I wonder how many other people got the same impression? I'm not here to hurt or inflict pain. Take things that I say with a grain of salt, please. This blog is public (though I don't think many read it). I am aware that what I say is out there for anyone to see. Perhaps my words yesterday were hurtful to some, and for that I'm sorry. Believe me, I'm not going to flippantly be ugly towards people here. Can I be sarcastic at times? A little. Do I say things I shouldn't? Probably. Am I perfect? No. Can I be immature? At times. You'll see all of that here. But I'm careful about what I say on a blog.
"I have faults. What are they? I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend to much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit people with my car.... so sue me. No, don't sue me. That's exactly opposite the point I'm trying to make." -Michael Scott
5 comments:
Your doing it right. You can't please everyone=) What's the point of writing if your just going to censor yourself anyways? I like reading blogs because I like meeting all types of people. Life would be boring if we were all made from the same cookie dough!
I second Heather!!! Whoever you offended can just go read another blog, not read your's. It goes both ways I say.
Yes, and like I said, I can refrain from reading those blogs as well. It does go both ways. Heather, thanks for what you said. I have been meaning to comment on your blog for a long time, and just haven't out of pure laziness! I really like yours- it falls under the creative blogs!!
PS
its a damn shame you had to apologize. a damn shame
I agree with Heather and Allison. Also, whoever got ticked off must have a short fuse and no sense of humor.
I pity the woman who puts her life on hold until she gets married. That is a miserable existence to think you're walking around incomplete until you find someone with an XY chromosome. People who say that being single is "miserable" are either a) misguided, b) jealous, or c) immature (or all three, for that matter!). I love being single and I would never want to trade this awesome time in my life.
You are who you are and if someone judges you for that without asking for an explanation or talking to you like a rational adult, then you would be better off cutting ties with them. Just my opinion. There are too many negative, self-righteous people in this world to waste time on them.
And to talk on Allison's second point, it doesn't sound like an apology was necessary. Maybe an attempt to explain your point of view and try to communicate with this person, but an apology? No. You didn't do anything wrong.
Good luck, Nat! We love you. :)
Post a Comment