Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Avatar


I finally rented and watched Avatar last night. I wasn't really sure what I was going to think, since I have heard reviews of it from both extremes. I decided to watch it with an open mind and try not to think about the smears from the right, or the over-glorification from the left. And, really, I thought it was a good movie. Not to mention, right from the beginning I recognized the score, and both Allison and I discovered that James Horner (who also did Titanic's score- go figure) did it.

So, my thoughts on the movie? Great story. Great romance. Great adventure. I didn't so much tie the attacks on the Na'vi to a portrayal of our military, (though I don't doubt that it wasn't at least a nod in that direction) but I think what bothered me about this film the most was how completely over-the-top that colonel was in his brutality. And I think the film went a little too far out of its way to show just how heartless and inhuman he was, such as watching him kick back with a cup of coffee while shooting down innocent Na'vi, among other scenes. If anything, this movie's biggest message was an environmental one-- not necessarily a slam toward our military specifically, but a slam toward mankind in general. Perhaps my only other qualm with this movie was the intense spirituality which connected the Na'vi to the nature around them.

Those things aside, I honestly really enjoyed the movie. Beautiful scenery, awesome special and visual effects, and a really neat story all around. I did find myself sitting on the edge of my seat at times. I would recommend it, if you are willing to watch it without letting another's opinions get in the way. I felt that's what I had to do in order to enjoy it, and it definitely worked. And, as a result, I bought the soundtrack to the film, which generally happens after I see a movie I really like. All in all, I would recommend it.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I liked it better seeing it a second time, even if I did fall asleep through some of it. I am enjoying the music...lame on my part. JK. Although I still can't see why some people had post Avatar depression.