
Allison pointed out to me that I completely missed the inclusion of Harry Potter in my post on high school obsessions. Yes, the books came out long before I was in high school, but I was of the belief that all things Harry Potter were evil for a long time. Finally when I was 16 I decided to read them for myself, and have loved them ever since.
For me, fantasy is an escape. I know it is dorky that I love books and movies like this and hold them close, but that is how it is. I have many memories connected to this story-- late night in Books a Million with Allison to pick up the 6th book we could have easily walked in the next morning to get (we discovered that night that there are some really weird [i.e. creepy] Harry Potter fans out there), seeing the movies for the first time in theater always with Allison (we are not allowed to go one without the other for the first time), reading the 7th book side-by-side, each with our own copies, and stopping every couple of chapters with disbelief at what was happening-- and that is only mentioning a few fond memories I have.
Through high school, college, nursing school-- this story has been a wonderful escape for me. I think that is why I have always loved fantasy. They are stories that we know could never be true, and that's why we love them. Of course, don't we wish an old-fashioned letter came, owl-delivered, to take us away to a whole different world, or that we could step through a wardrobe and find ourselves in Narnia? Or be whisked off to some great adventure, like Bilbo or Frodo? It is that element of fantasy that I love so much. Although I no longer have the obsessions I once did, these (Harry Potter, Narnia, Lord of the Rings, etc,) are stories I will always love.
No comments:
Post a Comment