I think that yesterday I felt like a nurse for the first time. I see glimpses of it sometimes. You have to understand, experience makes the nurse. Until you have experience, it is just so difficult. Every day brings something difficult for me, and most days I feel so overwhelmed I can't stand it. Yesterday, however, I felt somewhat more in control of myself and the situation. Not that you can ever be in control of the situation, as anything can happen, but I felt so composed. My patient even told me I was a fantastic nurse, and hearing something like that can make a terrible day worth it. Knowing my patient felt secure having me as a nurse, that is all I need to hear! It doesn't even matter anymore that I worked late and only got a ten minute break.
Things I am learning? As a nurse, you have to be assertive. I am gaining confidence when it comes to dealing with doctors. I'm developing a thicker skin, because my first call to a doctor left me in tears. My first difficult patient also left me in tears. I actually laugh now when I think about that. It isn't personal, and for some reason I thought it was. Sometimes I still go home feeling like a failure because I didn't "please everyone," but I can't let that get to me. Not everyone is always going to like me. And it's ok!!
When I was in school and heard girls talk about wanting to be a nurse, I used to encourage it. However, if you are thinking about being a nurse, stop and think again. If you still want to do it, stop and think again. Nurses don't simply flit about carrying out doctor's wishes. It isn't easy. It is hard, grueling work. It demands everything of you- physically, emotionally, mentally, psychologically, spiritually, you name it. People will never understand what you go through.
This isn't me complaining, I am simply stating the facts that are there. Yesterday one of my friends who has been a nurse for 16 years told me, "If you want to be a nurse, you have to want to be. You have to love your job, love your patients, you have to have compassion. It is hard work." And on top of that, you have to endure through the most discouraging circumstances. Would I have chosen this career had I known all of that? I don't know. I would have told you I knew, but really, I didn't. However I do not regret choosing it one bit. So, if you want to be a nurse, do it, but don't make that decision lightly!
Do I love being a nurse? YES! I stumble over that question some days, but I really am learning to love it.
And I'm sorry, I did not mean to go off on that rant. Just some thoughts I am putting out there. Allison and I have been talking about it a lot lately. If she was not a nurse also, I don't know what I would do!
Winter Olympics start tonight, and I cannot WAIT to watch the opening ceremonies! Why is it that while I hate sports so much, I love the Olympics?
Edit: I am going to Cleveland this week! Sooo excited! This Florida girl gets to see snow!
2 comments:
Yay! It's amazing what a bit of affirmation can do for a mood and a day! One of my first days substituting, one of the kids drew me a picture with the words "Hav a nice day." And that made my day grand! But I don't think subbing is as difficult as nursing ... Glad it's going well!
You are a great nurse! I would love for you to take care of meeee!!
Post a Comment