Tuesday, September 29, 2009

So far, so good. Orientation is going well. And yet again, I have another test to study for on Thursday! I'm a little disappointed to find out that it isn't just medication dosage calculations, but also a lot of other information that I have to memorize. I'm not happy about that. I got really overwhelmed at the beginning when they began talking to us about clarifying orders, giving wrong dosages, etc... they told us a story about someone who once gave Digoxin 2.5 mg (a normal dose is more along the lines of about 0.25 mg), and stories like that scare the living crap out of me. I'm human, I'm fallible (very much so, in fact) and it is scary because anybody is capable of making mistakes.

I bought myself some new scrubs yesterday (lame to be excited about, I know). Just two navy blue sets and a white top to rotate, because those are the only colors we get to wear. I'm actually glad, because I am not really into all the bright colors. PCTs are assigned a different colors, housekeeping another, etc, and that way I suppose we are all distinguishable from each other. Hopefully I will soon be able to invest in some nicer scrubs since I had to buy the cheapest ones I could find.

I got my work schedule for the next month as well. I work 2 or 3 Sundays, which I'm ok with I guess. I know it's what I have to do, so I have to accept it. You know what I figure? Jesus healed people on the Sabbath. I'm not sure He would smile upon me refusing 100% of the time to work a Sunday, and that makes me feel so much better about it. I always think of when the Pharisees tried to trap Him when He healed the blind man on the Sabbath. I should probably download some pod cast sermons to listen to on the way to work in the morning. That would definitely put me in the right mindset for the day, rather than just treating it like any other day while I am there.

Anyway, I'm actually getting really excited about my job. I was all nerves yesterday and this morning thinking about it, but as the day went on I realized that I'm not in this alone. I will be with a preceptor for 12 weeks, so I won't be doing anything without her making sure it is being done right, and she will slowly allow me more responsibility and more autonomy in my job until I'm ready to take it on without her being there all the time. And even after I am no longer with my preceptor, there will always be people there to ask for help. I will need to suck it up and not worry about being a nuisance, because I'm there to advocate for my patients, not worry about what others will think of me. I'm there to do my job.

And I'm sure that about a week and a half from now, I will probably be stressed out of my mind after working 3 in a row. We'll see!

No comments: