Saturday, June 22, 2013

Health Thoughts for the Week...

Some thoughts on health and body image...

Happiness is a feeling.  Fat is not.

Fat will not determine my level of happiness.  Certainly, when I am taking care of myself I feel better.  I have more energy.  When I eat a well-balanced meal as opposed to an unhealthy one, I feel less inclined to make unhealthy choices later on.

Neither is fat a moral failing.

Wanting to lose weight and wanting to be healthier is not a moral failing.  Obsessing over it is unhealthy.  Using "thinspiration" and body comparison is unhealthy.  My body is not like anyone else's and therefore I will not use that method.  My body tells me when I am hungry, and I listen to it.  Sometimes my body tells me when I want (rather than need) something, and that is ok too.

Food is part of life's enjoyment.  It should be eaten and enjoyed.  If I eat a donut and enjoy it, (and I did, just this morning) I have no reason to feel guilty.

Finding a balance is a process.  I feel better today than I did a month ago, and that is what makes me happy.  It is not a feeling of fat or skinny or in-between.  And this isn't to say that those conflicts don't or won't arise within me.  But I am learning to really evaluate everything I am thinking about myself and my body image... does that make sense?

Sorry for the scattered thoughts.  And sorry for so much of the same stuff in the past couple of weeks here.  Haven't had much to say lately on this blog.

1 comment:

Li said...

Great post! Love your thoughts!