Sunday, September 28, 2008

I haven't been very good with my BSF lesson this week. I didn't start it until tonight, but once I started I was able to get the whole thing done. We are reading about the life of Moses this year, and right now we are in Exodus the second chapter. I have never really studied Exodus very closely. Mostly just the Sunday school light and fluffy stuff.

I'm so struck by how impulsive and impatient Moses was! He killed an Egyptian- a sinful and evil act by itself, but he was doing that because he thought the Hebrews would see him as their rescuer, in essence, their "hero" (Acts 7:25). I have never seen it that way at all before.

Something else I read in Exodus 2:24 & 25. "God heard their groaning and He remembered His covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them." This is just my own commentary is likely not even right or anywhere close to accurate, but I wonder if God had turned His back on the Hebrews during the 400 year period that they were in slavery. Not completely turned His back no them, because He definitely kept His hand on them because the 400 years were part of His promise to Abraham in Genesis 15:13, so maybe it was more of a silence from God. I mean, they may have been groaning before that, (though it is not mentioned) but the Bible only mentions their cry going up to God at this point, after Moses has already left Egypt. Bear in mind that it is highly probable that many of the Hebrews were highly influenced by Egyptian culture and gods, and many likely worshiped those rather than God.

One thing I want to point out is that God remembered. He doesn't forget His promises to us! And Moses couldn't do a thing to change those plans. He tried to speed things up, and it almost backfired on him. God's plans were going to happen in His time, rather than in our instant-gratification human nature. I think that I'm just like Moses all the time, trying to be manipulative and speed things up. Interestingly enough, Exodus doesn't mention that the Israelites were praying for a deliverer before Moses' birth, or that Moses' parents knew that Moses would be a deliverer, and neither does God specify in what way He would bring about the deliverance in Genesis 15, (all contrary to what many romanticized versions of the story tell us). Somehow Moses either knew he would be, or maybe he only originally thought that he could be based upon his merit, the deliverer, and that is why he killed the Egyptian. Acts 7 does mention that he thought the Israelites would recognize him as their rescuer. I wonder if originally he thought that simply because he was a prince and a Hebrew, they would all see him as their deliverer? But perhaps not, because in Hebrews 11:24 it does say that when he grew up he refused to be known as the son of the Pharaoh's daughter and wanted to be mistreated along with his people. But we don't know at what point this happened either, just that it happened when he grew up.

Anyway, just some thoughts I had that were spurred by some of this week's questions that I felt like writing down. It is merely speculation, and nothing more. I'm not super knowledgeable about Scripture so I'm sure that there are points I'm missing. Any thoughts are welcome though. Sorry that it is completely unorganized.

Another week of school ahead of me. But I get to go to BSF tomorrow night and that is the highlight of my week!!!

1 comment:

Allison said...

You have inspired me. Although I have done my lesson, I did it half heartedly, I suppose. So, now I'm going to go back and go through it again!