I forgot just how disrespectful kids can be. I was reminded once again at the all-staff meeting on Sunday night for VBS. I remember being in the position as a teen, being assigned to a place that I absolutely did not want to work. But I also remember having a mom who told me to suck it up and get over myself, and just do it. I'm amazed at the kids who complained about it. Not going to single anybody out, but I had some backtalk from a few kids. Might I remind them that I may only be 20 (almost 21, mind you!), but you still don't talk to me that way? I had a 14 year old mouth off to me! Needless to say I hit really hard on respect in the teen training. Allison said I was very authoritative, so I'm hoping that'll end up being a good thing. It's always better to start off mean (and by that I mean laying down the law), then you can be nicer later. Doing the assignments was much harder this year. I think some of the kids really thought I had it in for them.
But overall it went well. I think my feelings could have been hurt but I decided that I'm not going to let any of it affect me. I know that some of the kids don't like me very much right now, but I can't please everybody. It's not an easy job. Nancy last year told me that she has friends and doesn't have to be friends with the kids, at least not when you're in authority over them, and I agree with that. She wasn't afraid to get in their faces, and I think I learned from her that it's better to be authority when you are in that position. I just don't want to let anyone walk all over me. I want everyone to have fun. My reminder every day at prayer will be that we are in it to serve God and not ourselves. And that's what I had to tell myself Sunday night when I had a pounding headache and was practically bombarded on all sides by something the whole evening.
I think I've painted a really negative picture about what I'm doing, so I want to say that I'm really excited about VBS. And there is no sarcasm there at all. I love VBS! It was an awesome part of my childhood. I haven't missed a year since I was three years old. I just love it. I love being part of it as an adult now, even with some of the bumps in the road it is an awesome experience. When I was a kid, even a teenager, I had no idea just how much work everybody on staff puts into it. Some of them have been working on planning it for more than two months now! I used to wish VBS lasted all summer, and always why my mom disagreed with me. Well now I know. :) It's so much fun, but definitely stressful.
And I'll be turning 21 during VBS! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment