One of the things I love about iPhones is that they save voice mail right to your phone. It used to be that you could only keep certain voice mails for a certain amount of time. Then after 30 days, it would be deleted. I'm glad that doesn't happen, because in March I discovered something. I have a voice mail from December 7, 2010. It's from my grandma. She was calling to tell me she was so excited I could make it for my grandpa's service. She talked about how she was at the store, and still had several more errands to run.
December 7 was the day she fell and broke her femur, the day that it all started. But the voice mail was made just a few hours before that. I love it, although it makes me sad as well because it reminds me of how much was changed that day. Here she was, shopping, getting ready to get back to a somewhat normal life as she had spent the vast majority of the past year within the walls of her house caring for my grandpa.
Although I miss her, there are times I'm glad she didn't have to live long without my grandpa. They didn't want to live one without the other, and even in the beginning of March when I was visiting, my grandma would make comments about how things had turned out exactly as she had planned. Sometimes I wonder if even then she knew she wasn't going to live long. She was ok with it. She had told her daughters-in-law just a few weeks before that she had accomplished everything in her life that she had ever wanted to.
I think today I want to get a back massage. I've never had one before, but it seems like a good time because for some reason my back is killing me after work this week. When I woke up today, my whole body was just aching and it was so hard to force myself to get out of bed to even make my coffee. I wonder if regular jobs take such a toll on your body. I know my job is physically demanding, but sometimes it is the mental stress as well that takes that kind of toll.
Do most women wake up in their early 20s and realize they've aged, or am I just aging prematurely? I have recently been looking at pictures of myself from early college, and while I thought I hadn't really changed much, I have. I look a lot older. You know, those stupid little crows feet around the eyes, bags under the eyes, etc. I guess it's pretty normal. If I look this bad in my 20s, I'd better get married soon or it'll never happen. Kidding... well, a little.
No Orlando trip today. Oh, well. I was really hoping that with six days off I could at least make them a little more fun than my normal days off. Looks like I'll be hanging around the ol' town house. Which is ok.
2 comments:
Did you get the back massage? There is nothing more relaxing. I'd go for a therapeutic over a Swedish massage is your back pain has been more chronic.
No, I didn't! I was too lazy to even go get a massage! Maybe today I will.
Post a Comment