Saturday, January 23, 2010

I was looking at pictures yesterday from my nursing school days. Missing them a little, but also glad they are behind me. However, in those days I never imagined the stress that being a nurse would bring me. Not at all!

They don't tell you that you get respect as little more than a "doctor's aid" (who "wakes patients up and takes their blood pressure") from those around you- not the trained professional that you are. They don't tell you that you get no smiles and thank-yous from 80% of your patients, and most certainly not from 90% of doctors. They tell you about getting four days a week off, but definitely not about the grueling aspect of being on for 12 hours three days per week, or that much of your days off is spent as a couch potato because you are so tired from work. They don't tell you how hard it is going to be at first- that on some days you are literally going to be on the verge of tears from the fear of having too much on your plate and not getting everything done by 7 and fearing losing your license. They tell you that the pay is pretty good, but what they don't include there is just how much work goes into a paycheck.

There is so much I didn't know coming in. Even while I was on orientation, I'm not sure I saw the reality of it all. But still, I do love my job. Somehow I'm still able to enjoy it, despite all I have just described. Maybe if I'd known how stressful it would all be after school, I might not have done it, so it is probably good I never knew. I am praying for a not-so-difficult week this week, but in the meantime am going to rest up until I go back in on Monday.

It looks like I might be going to Ohio in February to see Lindsey and Callie! I'm super excited and can't wait! I have not been on a trip like this in years... probably since the last time I visited them in Michigan (almost six years ago). Looking forward to good times with old friends, and seeing new places.

1 comment:

Li said...

I'm sorry it's so hard. :( You always have to wonder if they couldn't have prepared you better for what you were going to face.

On the plus side, can't wait to see you. :)