Today I enjoyed the ultimate introvert's day. I slept in until 9 am after a three-in-a-row and took my time getting ready for church. Got Starbucks on the way over, and I actually only made it for Sunday school, the main reason being that I honestly didn't think I would be able to stay awake through a service. After coming home and eating lunch, I spent about three hours watching the Office (ahhh! I'm ashamed to say that I now like that show) in my room, followed by a trip to the movies all by myself to see New Moon (yes, again). It was a great day spent alone, and I am so refreshed after a stressful few days of work! I have never been to the movies alone, and actually found that it was a great experience. I always wait until someone asks me to go to the movies, and often don't really enjoy the experience because you aren't socializing anyway (plus, most people other than Allison can't stand any sort of comments during a movie). So now if there's a movie I want to see, well, I'll go see it!
Work is going well. I am beginning to see why there is such a high turn-over rate with floor nurses. It is not so much the labor aspect of it as it is the mental stress, the immense pressure on nurses. I don't know, it just really hit me this week one day after work that maybe I'm just not cut out for this. How am I ever going to be able to deal with this kind of stress indefinitely? It really scares me the kind of responsibility that I will have in a month on my own. School does not prepare you for that aspect of it at all.
So right now, life sucks and yet it's good at the same time. The free time I have is the best, work is generally good, but the weight of it is a lot. I guess I will just have to learn how to deal with it. Others have done it before me, so I will learn to as well!
Holidays are coming fast!
5 comments:
I've always wanted to go to the movies alone and now you've given me inspiration.
What a difference a year makes! I am so proud of you.
Remember to rely on God's strength to be the nurse you want to be. He is sufficient for any weakness you may have.
You are a delight to me.
Well, if it comforts you in any way I left crying the other night from work. Everything seemed to go wrong, I accidentally bolused a little air into a central line (nothing happened, but I freaked out and everything went downhill), I got waaaaay behind in charting and had to stay until 8:30 all 3 nights last week. It sucked. I left thinking that I could not do it another day. But I did it today and it is done.
I knew you were seeing that movie by yourself. I was going to the other day, but slept in too late and got a late day start. I am next going to try Disney on my own, we shall see!! Maybe this Friday. That will be an experience! But maybe I can get through the lines quicker because I'm a party of one?
I feel like I'm writing you an email...
Jacob, I'm glad to be an inspiration. You really should try it sometime.
Ms. Liz, it is definitely amazing to think of where I was a year ago, and where I'm at today. At this time last year I was a stressed-out failure (or at least that's what I felt like!).
Allison, I know, I know!! I started the day out with almost-tears the other day, ended one on the verge of it. But you are right, we get through it. I had a day that went completely downhill and I felt like such a failure at nursing.
Your nursing stories are nothing! I remember once when a professor told me I needed to do a better job on a paper. My life is soo much more difficult and stressful than yours. ;-)
In all seriousness though, I know things will get better, but I definitely believe you that it's a way stressful job to be starting out in ...talking about being thrown into the deep end without water wings...or even a whistle to blow.
Post a Comment