Reality is definitely setting in. We got our furniture delivered to our apartment this week. Now it feels like home. But things are settling, and we are definitely feeling the reality of our situation. We have finished our two whopping days of orientation on the floors we will be working on, and both feel so inadequately prepared for what is to come. Especially Bela, as she has to work day shift and it is SO much crazier than nights.
Travel nurses are just not treated very nicely. I knew that before going in, but I just didn't think it would be this hard. The expectations are incredibly high (this is why you should ALWAYS make sure you have plenty of experience before starting) and the training incredibly insufficient. The charting is different than anything I've ever used, and I have to learn that on top of learning two whole new units, dealing with new co-workers, and charge nurses in general who just don't give a crap about how you're doing. Because although we are here to help the hospital out, we are essentially on our own.
Anyway, outside of work I really love it here. We have met some really wonderful people, who I think will be so helpful in helping us to not feel so sad about our circumstances. I think we are also just going to have it rough for a couple of weeks until we get a little more acclimated to things.
Right now we are just sitting in Starbucks drinking our peppermint mochas, listening to the cheery Bing Crosby music in the background, and trying our best to be positive about things. I do think that things will get better... it's just gonna be a rough road to get there.
No comments:
Post a Comment