Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Settling into Life Here

I've now had two nights on the floor by myself off of orientation.  Things are still hard.  I do feel like I am figuring out the charting, but I am really missing the support system that I'm used to at my old job.  Not to mention I still haven't felt like myself back on the floor.  I know I am a good nurse.  I have been told that by many people, yet since starting out here in California I have just felt really off.  I don't know why, but I just don't feel like the old Nurse Nat when I'm taking care of my patients.  Not that I'm being a bad nurse... I just don't feel like the good nurse I know I am.  I'm hoping I start to feel like my old self soon...

I've been really trying hard to leave the stress of work at work.  I actually had gotten really good at that back home, but out here it just seems to permeate everything.  So, I'm working on that.  Bela and I work mostly opposite schedules, which hasn't helped since often when I'm off she has to work.  We did both have yesterday off, so we took the evening to set up our Wifi (THAT was a whole fiasco in and of itself!) and went out to dinner at Fuddruckers.  We were both craving a good burger.  Since we have been making fires in our apartment most nights cause of the cold, we decided to make s'mores last night.  Delish!  And after FINALLY getting the Wifi set up, we watched Parks and Recreation on Netflix.  Yes, I have gotten Bela addicted to it.  Best show ever!

Here is the delicious s'more I ate last night. 

On my walk this morning, I decided to walk an extra large hill.  The hills here in the Bay Area are killer, but the views are beautiful as a result!  Totally worth it!  Not to mention I'm getting into better shape.  Hadn't been doing too great of a job since traveling out here with my eating or my exercising.  And I just feel like crap when I'm not eating right and exercising.

 There's a part of the trail I walk that I think looks like an enchanted forest.  I took some pictures.


Doesn't that look like it belongs in Narnia?


So overall I would say things are going well.  Of course I'm stressed, but I'm working on that.  I have been a little homesick at times.  Just for familiarity of home.  I never thought I'd miss my home town, but at times I do.  Though I know I will probably never live there again, it will always be home to me.  But I am loving being in a new place also and exploring it.  Tomorrow we plan on taking another trip into SF, this time hopefully to see the Golden Gate Bridge.  The weather has been pretty rainy since yesterday though, so hopefully things will work out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you Nat!! Praying for you girls every day!