Monday, July 16, 2012

Think of a time when you were the happiest.  When I think about mine, I imagine my high school self.  I know I wouldn't go back to that time, but when they say ignorance is bliss, they aren't kidding.  I was so oblivious to any sort of hardship or sadness in life.

I imagine what it would be like to be sitting in that stupid white conversion van again with my family, driving to Illinois at Christmastime to see my grandparents.  My hair frizzy and flying everywhere awkardly, wearing really nerdy clothes, but happy.  That night we ran out of gas when we were 20 miles out.  Hugging my grandparents in their healthier days.

I think about sitting in Starbucks with my high school friends, most of whom I don't even keep up with anymore, talking over which boy in the youth group is cutest... most of them were losers now that I look back on it.  I think about the quiet times in my room, when I would write in my diary, hoping and wishing to someday grow out of my awkwardness.  Writing about my many hopes and dreams.  Those were the few times I ever got to spend by myself, and I loved it.

I'm not a sad person, and I don't want this post to convey that.  I suppose I'm just feeling sentimental today and wishing for simpler, happier times.  Maybe they weren't as happy as I thought they were, I don't know.  Some of my happiest days in jr. high and high school were spent at Camp Kulaqua, and I'm DEFINITELY excited to go back there today!

No comments: