Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm sitting here and my toes feel like they are about to freeze off. Ok, ok it isn't that cold. Maybe 50 degrees. I sat outside of Starbucks with my cousin Carrie tonight pretty comfortably. But I guess you could say I'm starting to appreciate a Florida spring, at least a little bit. I'm thinking THE BEACH when I get home!

I'm waiting for Melissa, who works the late shift, to get home from work. We've had some pretty late nights watching the Bachelor and just enjoying each others' company, but it's always followed by a late morning so it evens out. I visited my grandma for a few hours in the hospital today. Hopefully I'm not too much of an annoyance when I'm sitting in there and she many want to be resting, but I repeatedly tell her that if she's tired to tell me and I'll leave. She seems to just enjoy having company, so I'm glad to be there with her. I also got to talk to the nurse who let me read the x-ray report, and it looks better than the one that was done last week. So, that's a plus! Grandma's spirits were definitely lifted after hearing that news.

I'm careful not to share with the staff at the hospital that I'm a nurse. I hate, I mean hate when family members do that to me at work. My grandma occasionally likes to announce it, but I've decided not to take that pleasure away from her since I know she's proud to tell people. However, I think I was kind of the annoying family member today questioning that nurse. She may have gotten the vibe that I knew what I was talking about (I really don't all that much), but I never did tell her.

Even in the hospital, Grandma likes to kind of play hostess. Making sure I'm comfortable, giving me one of her pillows for my back, or insisting I join her with the ice cream sundaes or root beer floats they serve the patients. I felt a little silly asking the tech to give me a sundae, but Grandma wouldn't let me refuse when I said I didn't want one. So, she's still the same Grandma. She keeps her bedside tray very tidied up. If a paper is crooked or there's something out of place, she fixes it.

Tomorrow, hopefully a morning (but not too early) trip to Kaldi's, the best coffee shop ever! Then, on to conquer the rest of the day.

No comments: