Monday, March 28, 2011

I finally watched season eight of 24. I have to say, while it was one of the best seasons of all, it was, in my opinion, the worst way to end the entire series. There were too many questions unanswered, and it was just sad. I also didn't like how they made Jack lose a lot of his humanity in this season. Although I suppose a life of being a rogue hero, always being chased by the government, will do that to a person.

I hung out with my sister Hannah this weekend. We Red Box-ed two movies this weekend, Knowing and Letters to Juliet. I actually really liked the movie Knowing and it was my second time watching it. It's about the end of the world. Cliche, I know. Even though it definitely takes a secular view (but does bring in questions about faith in relation to the end of the world), it is very thought-provoking. People going about their daily lives, with a series of catastrophic events (i.e. tsunamis, earthquakes, terrorist attacks) leading up to the ultimate catastrophe-- the end of it all. It makes you think, or at least made me think, about whether or not I'm ready for the end of the world, for the return of Jesus. The main character is given a series of predictions of these catastrophes, and he admits that he thought there was a purpose in being given these predictions-- but how can he stop the end of the world? The movie asks a lot of questions, with no real answers given, but I honestly think it's worth watching.

Life has gotten back to a somewhat normal rhythm. There are still days I have a hard time. I ate breakfast with one of my work buddies after work this week. I found out she is someone who has dealt with a lot of grief in her life, and shared with her about what I've been going through. I realized my feelings are indeed normal. One of the things she told me is that after you lose someone you were close to, you will never go back to being the same person. She shared that she has wanted so much to go back to "normal," to being "herself," but she can't. Let me just tell you, there was a lot of relief for me from that conversation, and hope for at least some brighter days. We talked about how the sad part is, we are young, and for us losses are just beginning. You can't dwell on that... you can only enjoy the time you have with the ones you love and not dwell on what was, or what could be.

Next week we are going back north for my grandma's service. I'm definitely looking forward to that, and thankfully my boss gave me some bereavement so I don't have to worry about taking extra paid time off. I think it will be a good family time, and our grief together won't be so fresh. One thing I can say, is the last few months have made me so thankful for my family.

This is supposed to be a rainy, stormy week! Although I was looking forward to a beach trip with friends, I will also take the rain. I do enjoy rainy days.

No comments: