Friday, July 11, 2008

Random Thoughts


Tonight on Hannity and Colmes I saw a segment about signs that say "Men Working" in construction zones. In Atlanta they are being taken away and will say things like "Workers Ahead" to be gender-neutral. Because it's "so" offensive to have the word "man" on that sign. Give me a break. Are we serious? That is being so over-sensitive about things! Sean pointed out that maybe we should start calling a manhole a "peoplehole." Why not say "police person" rather than policeman? Or how about "fireperson?" Why do people get so hung up on that? It doesn't mean a woman can't be in that role, and it certainly doesn't discriminate against us as women. I'm sorry, it is such a pet peeve of mine how women have to get so sensitive about these things. I'm a woman and I don't find these things offensive! I'm a woman pursuing a career too, by the way. Nobody cares about the fact that men get discriminated against and made fun of in the career of nursing. You don't see men coming on talk shows about the fact that the term "nurse" is a more feminine-sounding word (when you think of nurse, you do not typically think of a man- but I know awesome guys in my class who will make great nurses). Or how about midwife, why don't we get that changed because that discriminates against men being in that profession? I mean, come on people. It is what it is and has always been called that. Is it really such a big deal to get hung up over words?

I actually was told by my teacher last year that a paper I turned in was sexist because I used the term "he" to generally talk about people instead of "he or she". Can you really be sexist against your own sex??? I just thought it was funny. Needless to say I will be writing "he/she" from now on.

Well now you have my ranting. I'm obviously not a feminist or even remotely close to being one. I believe in equality for all but that doesn't mean all are the same. I can accept that there are things I can't do simply because I'm a woman. I think guys should respect women more and not be afraid to treat us differently (in a respectful way such as holding doors, being more polite towards us, etc...) because we are different. There is nothing more attractive (and nothing more rare) than a guy who knows how to treat a woman with respect. And if you think that in the past women haven't played a role in society, then who do you think shaped the great men of our history? Their mothers. Just a thought.

On to other things. I worked yesterday and today, and I'm tired out. *sigh* I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep tonight! And this week I will look forward to visiting Al and seeing Batman. *sniff, sniff* Heath Ledger. :(

Hannah got home from camp today, and she seems to have had a great time. It was a different camp than our church has ever gone to. She said that there were Baptist and Methodist and Lutheran churches there also. I'm very pleasantly surprised our church did something outside of the PCA! She told me that Kevin wanted the kids to see that people of different denominations can come together and worship the same God. We get really hung up on denominations and theology, don't we? ;)

Well I'm tired and don't really have anything interesting to say. Good night.

3 comments:

Allison said...

That is a funny sign! Yes, nurse:woman. No one thinks of the man, but I know tons o' male nurses. They tend to do the trauma, which is fine by me!

Allison said...

Why wouldn't you get up at 3:30?? I am crazy, maybe, but not that much!

Derek said...

I'm a new person to your blog...I find it interesting so I figured I'd comment. I think it's awesome that you don't get hung up on the feminist stuff like that. College is usually when they get ya but you seem to be weathering that storm...kudos to you.