I have been really bad about my time with the Lord. I honestly have hardly picked up my Bible this summer. BSF helps me have more routine in my life when it comes to reading the Word, and the break hasn’t been good to me. I have been a real slacker in that area.
Tonight I was reading about Abraham, starting in the 12th chapter. One of my favorite verses has been the first one in chapter twelve- “The LORD said to Abram, ‘Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.’” This has always meant a lot to me. God asked a lot of Abram- He told Abram to leave everything he had ever known. To leave his country, his people, and his father’s household. I don’t know, that would scare me to death. I think I forget that Abram had no idea just how all of this would turn out. But what I love is what God says next: “…and go to the land I will show you.” There is a promise in there. God was promising to show Abram where He would have him go. How often I forget this promise. Following all of this in verses 2 and 3 God lays out all of the blessings He will give Abram. He would make him a great nation, bless him, make his name great, Abram would be a blessing, and all who blessed Abram would be blessed, and those who cursed Abram would also be cursed. And all peoples on earth would be blessed through Abram! I mean, wow! And Abram did just what God said. Abram left.
I love the part in verse 8 where he travels east of Bethel and West of Ai and builds an altar- “and called on the name of the LORD.” This is the first time Abram called upon the name of the LORD. And Abram still fell even after having called upon God. He lied to the Egyptian Pharaoh. What I love is the next part. After Pharaoh sent Abram away (with all the sheep, cattle, donkeys, menservants, maidservants, and camels- God still blessed him even after he sinned!) Abram went back to the place where he had built the first altar. “There Abram called on the name of the LORD” (13:4). What a blessing this is to me. Abram didn’t believe in God’s promises of provision. He lied to save his skin after having called upon God already. And yet he went back to the same place and called upon God again. What a merciful God we serve! God still used him. He didn’t dismiss Abram for being a fool with little faith. And I’m just like Abram. And this isn’t the last time a sin of Abram is recorded. We know that later on in chapter 16 he didn’t trust in God’s provision of a son and slept with Hagar to have a child. But God still used Abram.
Abram did all these things after he came to faith. I think that this is proof that God’s mercy is far-reaching and He doesn’t expect us to be perfect as Christians. Yes, we strive for righteousness and purity, and none of this ever excuses sin. But I think that today’s church has influenced people to believe that life becomes hunky dory after you come to Christ through faith, and you won’t be tempted nor fall into sin. Praise God we are still saved even after we sin. I could never be perfect. I am covered by the blood of Christ. Praise God!
3 comments:
Remember our study with Abraham? He was like our friend, one could say. It was so sad when he died and we had to move on!
I think that some of today's churchs are preaching that yes, but there are some churches now that are beginning to be a bit more realistic. I'm living proof life isn't going to be "hunky dory". The cool thing about God is that when we mess up, he uses the results of our mistakes to make us stronger Christians. What Satan means for evil, God turns to good for those that love Him.
Thanks for the encouraging post. I just stumble upon your blog from allison's and I'm refreshed by your reminder of Christ's righteousness and God's provision.
Post a Comment