I have lately been very intrigued by reformed theology. I guess I have to say that I'm a reformed Christian. As I have recently learned, people find some things about reformed theology offensive. I have been trying to read up on it because it has made me wonder, why do I believe reformed theology.
I have lately been annoyed by being pigeon holed into a denomination or a particular theology. Why can't I just say I'm a Christian and I follow Jesus? Because the minute I tell someone my denomination, I also have to explain to them what that entails. There are presbyterians that believe in a very liberal doctrine. They say the Bible is not inerrant or infallible, people can take what they want to be true or false, and can interpret it however they want to. Regardless, people ask me what denomination am I and I like to make sure they know I'm not PCUSA. I like for people to know that I believe in Jesus Christ alone for salvation, and the inerrancy and infallibilty (don't I sound so reformed) of Scripture.
So anyway, because of all of what you have just read, I have been doing some reading of my own. Last year my parents gave me the book Foundations of the Christian Faith by James Montgomery Boice. That book has been an excellent resource for me, and I recommend it to anyone. I do not regard any man as being inerrant or infallible, I would like to make that disclaimer now. But I believe him to be pretty solid, and he doesn't present doctrine and theology without Scripture to back it up. Another writer I have recently enjoyed is R.C. Sproul. I used to avoid him as much as possible because he is so freaking reformed and that annoyed the mess out of me. But, I have begun to read Grace Unknown: The Heart of Reformed Theology. It is an awesome book so far. Yeah, it's theology. So it isn't exactly the most thrilling read, but it has helped me through some of the recent questions I have had about reformed theology.
The doctrine of election, for instance. It surprises me how offensive this doctrine is to so many people, when it is backed over and over again by Scripture. I have discovered that it is impossible to argue with people about it, and I shouldn't argue about it because it is not a matter of a person's salvation. I just happen to be a person who enjoys debate and enjoys being right (my great downfall). I'm not writing this to argue the matter, to convince anybody of it, I just want to write some thoughts and some interesting things I have read about it.
"Reformed theology indeed insists that a real measure of freedom has been assigned to man by the Creator. But that freedom is not absolute and man is not autonomous. Our freedom is always and everywhere limited by God's sovereignty. God is free and we are free. But God is more free than we are. When our freedom bumps up against God's sovereignty, our freedom must yield. To say God's sovereignty is limited by man's freedom is to make man sovereign." -R.C. Sproul
This is something that helps me a lot. Sometimes people present this doctrine, basically saying that we are nothing but robots with absolutely no minds. God is sovereign, and we have freedom, but our freedom never overrules God's sovereignty. If it did, as Sproul later states, God wouldn't be sovereign. I'm completely comfortable with a Sovereign God who has ordained all things before time. To me it is comforting to know that it isn't my fault if someone doesn't come to Christ. Election doesn't free Christians from the responsibility of evangelism. Christ commanded it in Matthew 28, and that is why we share.
So sorry for the unorganized post. I don't make any false claims to be a good writer- I'm not organized in my thoughts so I definitely am not organized when I write. I just write as I think, so there you have it. I'm a reformed Presbyterian kid, the frozen chosen (as we are so endearingly referred to). But I'm not brainwashed into it, I think it through and read for myself, and back it up with Scripture. Always, always go back to Scripture because it is the inerrant and infallible Word of God. I'm a Christian who follows Christ, and I believe in God's perfect Word. And that there describes what I believe, more than being reformed or Presbyterian.
No comments:
Post a Comment