Sunday, October 27, 2013

Exciting Changes

It has been an eventful past ten days.

First of all, I got back on Thursday from a 4-night Bahamian cruise on the Disney Dream!  What a blast!  I will eventually post pictures, but that isn't even the half of what has been so eventful.

I have kept it pretty quiet, but since July I have been pursuing travel nursing with my friend, Bela.  I got my California license in September and began the process of getting my ACLS certification.  We got in touch with a travel nurse agency and began the process of sending our information, speaking with our recruiter, and submitting ourselves for assignments.  That was a process, let me tell you.

We got offered a job about ten days ago in San Leandro, California.  We were SO excited.  We would both be working evenings, 3-11:30.  We both put in our two weeks notice, told them our date we were available, and waited to sign our contracts.  This time period was when I left for my Disney cruise.  I had planned to check my e-mail Monday night to see if there was anything else I needed to do.  We found out that day that San Leandro was out of the question because they would not negotiate the start date and needed us out there a week earlier than we could get there.

We were upset, but we both contacted our bosses (I had to e-mail mine) and worked out getting off a week earlier.  All this time in the back of my mind, I was thinking we were screwed if things fell through.  But all they needed was for us to be there earlier, so we thought we were in the clear.  Only to find out the next day that they had pursued other candidates and we had missed the boat.

Needless to say, I was really upset.  I felt like here I had not only quit my job, but I had quit a whole week earlier for something that completely fell through!  We spoke with our recruiter and she very diligently kept looking for jobs, but nothing seemed hopeful.

One popped up in Castro Valley, California, however.  It wasn't really the ideal situation compared to the other one, but we asked her to go ahead and submit us.  We found out that I had the wrong computer charting experience and they required me to have one I had never used before.  However, thanks to my recruiter, by the end of the day we were both given offers and now we are set to leave this Wednesday for our first travel assignment!

Let me tell you, it has been a major emotional roller coaster.  From excitement for a new job, to the low of the prospect of unemployment (which, let me tell you, were a really rough couple of days), and then back to more excitement-- it's about been more stress than I can handle.

Because it was all so last minute, I didn't get much of a chance to say good-bye to my co-workers.  Or really even much closure as far as work is concerned.  It's like I was employed by them like always, then went on vacation, and came home and worked a few more days.  And now I'm done.  It's hard to believe that after four years of working there, that's it.  I will definitely miss my co-workers.

I have so much packing, paperwork, and last-minute shopping to do.  It's definitely more than a little overwhelming.  Hopefully by Wednesday, we will be all set to start off on our first travel assignment!  Can't wait to tell you all about it here!

No comments: