Saturday, December 31, 2011

I am home from a wonderful trip up to see family. Immediately after work on Saturday, I went to the airport to fly to St. Louis. It was wonderful to walk into my aunt and uncle's house and be greeted by familiarity and the ones I love. Christmas Day was wonderful, complete with my cousin Matt and his wife, Susan with their little girl Theresa (it wasn't long before "Santa Claus" came for a visit!") My other aunt and uncle visited for the afternoon as well, along with my cousin Jonathan. Wonderful, wonderful to see him!! He is doing so well, defied the odds we didn't know if he would beat.

We spent a few nights in the country at my grandparents' house. About 58 people were present, with 25 missing. Very wonderful to be with all of them. Our last night we played the game "Would You Rather?" making my Grandma read off the cards. She is hilarious, and it was one of the best nights of laughter I've ever had.

More and more I see the importance of family-- imperfections and all. I have struggled recently with the changes we are experiencing, the issues of transitioning from child to adult family relationships, among other things. My heart has filled with peace and forgiveness this week, that my burden is lighter and my outlook so much brighter. I realized that it is what it is, it was what it was, and I can make choices to be something else... that I am not destined to a life of bitterness and anger. Nobody or nothing can make me bitter or angry without my allowing for it to be so. What a freeing thought!

Happy New Year! I wonder what 2012 will bring?

No comments: