Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Two more nights of work, and I'm out of town again for about a week for my grandmother's service. I feel like I've been traveling a lot lately, although I really haven't. I guess being gone for two weeks in March though, then turning around to do it again just a few weeks later is a lot of time to be out of town.

Life really has gotten quite a bit better. I went to the beach on Sunday with Amanda and Tricia and their families. And, despite my wearing sun block and a t-shirt for most of the day, I still managed to get a pretty bad sunburn on my back. Which is weird, because my back was probably the part that was the most covered up. My conclusion is that sun block does not last very long, since I used the stuff I bought last summer. So I'm throwing it all out and starting fresh this year, and will never use an old bottle of sun block again.

And while I'm at it, here's my PSA (public service announcement- not prostate-specific antigen! haahhaa a little nursing humor for you there! I'm sorry, I can't help myself). Though I don't sit on my high horse when it comes to taking care of your skin, because obviously I get my share of sun burns, I do think that I am in a position to talk to people about skin care. I had melanoma when I was 18, and believe me, I was no sun goddess nor did I spend much time in tanning booths before then. Melanoma is very dangerous, and if we hadn't caught it in time, I either wouldn't be here today, or I'd be battling metastasized cancer at this point. It's no joke and getting multiple sun burns, or even sun tans, each year is so dangerous. I'm not saying you have to keep yourself looking like a porcelain doll, but please be mindful and take care of your skin. You may not get skin cancer at a young age like I did, but the more time you spend in the sun now, the more you are increasing your risk of getting it when you are older. Are those odds you really want to mess around with?

Off my soap box now. I really don't want to work tonight. I'm very nervous, because I'm going to be precepting a nurse the next two nights. She has nursing experience, but not on the floor. So she either might be very efficient and know what she's doing, or she will be absolutely drowning. I've known people with previous experience that felt both ways. The floor is no easy place to be. Sometimes I honestly wonder why I keep doing it to myself. I do like nursing, yet at the same time I hate it. But I don't know what I really want to do the rest of my life. I put all my eggs in one basket when I went to college. I suppose you could argue it was a good basket, in that it's a secure place to be job-wise. But let me tell you, it makes me a nervous wreck half the time, and a vegetable at home on the couch the rest of the time.

Well, off to a busy week and a half. See you on the other side!

No comments: