Saturday, April 2, 2011


Girls, remember books like this? I recently picked this one up again. And to be honest, it was one of my favorite of the Christian fiction romance novel genre.

I place a little blame on these types of books for the disillusionment in my adult life. Oh, you mean everyone doesn't meet their future husband (probably named Thad or Tucker, or something along those lines) when they are 20, and he doesn't come striding in to sweep you off your feet when all else seems lost? Oh, 16-year-old Natalie, there are so many things I want to tell you. Yet sadly, I cannot.

I still like to re-read some of these books more for nostalgic purposes. But boy, did they lie! I really believed they were a true portrayal of love and romance. You could say that about any romance fiction, but the danger in the Christian romance genre is that it always seems like once a person gets their spiritual life figured out, the next thing you know, the right person has come along and they are getting married, and all is well. Which gives a lot of people the false belief that marriage is somehow a reward, and being single is some sort of punishment.

I'm still waiting on Dalton Acuff's Christian fiction romance novel to come out. Until then, I'm stuck with the same old stuff.

4 comments:

pannedreview said...

Check out Lori Wick's Wikipedia page and read the section about the Aleitheia Bible Church child abuse controversy. And yes, she lied to you and every other girl who read that book (whether she knew it or not). That's what sells copies, unfortunately.

Allison said...

NOoooooooo!!!!! Stupid books.
Can't wait for Dalton Acuff!

Li said...

Oh wow. Brings back so many (false, deluded, unrealistic) memories. ;) If I ever had a kid, I don't know if I would let them read them. My mom let me read them from such a young age (what, 10? 11?) and it's just a bunch of lies rolled into a nice 'Christian' package.

You make a very good point about how marriage is perceived as some sort of "reward, and being single is some sort of punishment". It's so unrealistic and sad.

And I am still laughing over the Dalton Acuff bit. ;)

Natalie said...

Whoa! That Bible church thing is weird... and it just happened like a week ago too.
Honestly, I probably wouldn't let my daughters read these, at least not until they're old enough to have a little discernment. I'm really not bashing them, as there aren't really any better alternatives out there. These books, however, weren't necessarily good for an introverted little 15 year old girl who already had no idea how to interact with guys.