I consider myself a very patriotic person. It's really sad to me the amount of people today who continue to apologize for the USA. And maybe that is their conviction, which I suppose could be ok, but how has a generation of Americans arisen who despise their country so much? You, who because you live in America have the opportunities that you have. You, who have your degrees from American universities. You, who want healthcare to come from American taxpayers. Many despise America- yet demand everything of her-- ie education, welfare, healthcare, etc.
Am I generalizing? Perhaps. But without pointing fingers I am telling you what I have observed from more than a few around me, as well as from simply turning on the television. Why would you want so much from something you hate, or something of which you are so ashamed? Why not move to Europe, who you obviously love even more, to get these things? Isn't that what children who no longer want to be associated with their parents do? Cut themselves off? There are plenty of Americans who are patriotic, love their country and are unashamed to say so, and the majority of the times these are the Americans who do not demand that she give them everything.
By the way, I realize that not all people who are for all of the above mentioned dislike or are ashamed of America. But I have observed these opinions among too many.
I don't get political very often. In fact, this isn't even about politics, left or right, democrat or republican, for me. It's about what I feel is right, and how incredibly saddened I am to see what this generation is turning into. It isn't about budgets and deficits and taxes and right-wing Conservatives dominating, or President Obama or Nancy Pelosi. In fact, I'm sick of it being about that. I feel as though I keep my mouth shut much of the time to "keep the peace," and just needed to get my thoughts out there. I'm not out for starting a debate. I'm done with that. I can't argue people into agreeing with my point of view, and neither can you argue me into agreeing with yours.
I think that it is just sad to me to see that the patriotism that was once strong in America is slowly dying. I love stories from World War II, in which Americans came together to support our President, to support the morale of our troops, etc, and it is sad that today we only see the disparaging of these things today. One of my favorite movies, Holiday Inn, which was filmed during World War II, has kind of a cheesy song for the 4th of July holiday. But I always loved it, because to me it showed the love that people had for America in those days. You would never, ever see anything of the sort today from the Hollywood industry.
Anyway, ignore these thoughts from a silly little American. In fact, seriously, ignore them. Because I will probably ignore your thoughts since I no longer feel like debating. I just felt like formulating my thoughts that have been bouncing around my head for awhile.
Anyway, I am getting excited because I just realized the first of the last installment of Harry Potter will be coming out this summer. Very random thought, but doesn't Harry Potter bring us all together? Who doesn't like Harry?
2 comments:
Harry Potter is coming out in November. Harry Potter at Universal opens June 16!
What??? That stinks. I thought it was in July. Oh well.
Oh, we can go on my birthday to Universal!!!
Post a Comment