Friday, March 5, 2010

Did you know that at our age, you're supposed to have a life? I never knew! You are also supposed to have lots of dates on the weekend, and go out drinking every free night you have. Well, so people tell me. It amazes me that people assume these things, and are surprised to find out that my life is nothing like that. Friends at work assume since I have the weekend off, I must have dates lined up, parties to go to, bars to hop. Some of them even seem excited to ask me what my plans are, and it's actually funny to see the expressions change from a look of anticipation to confusion. Tonight somebody asked me, "Why don't you date?" I didn't know that's how my life was supposed to be. I'm starting to wonder if I have really become that socially lame. Darn you, nursing school and career! You have made me a nervous wreck one half of the time, the other half a vegetable on the couch at home.

Another thing, I didn't know that I "don't date." It's just never really come up much. People ask me that as if I have an answer, but might I direct them to the boys? I don't "not date," I just haven't. I don't know why that is such a difficult concept to grasp. People think I'm just being super picky, but newsflash, the boys ain't lined up at my front door! It's not something I typically let myself be bothered by, but when people seem to think I should be bothered by it, then I wonder if maybe I should be bothered by it.

So I wonder, how does one get a social life? I'm not even sure I know what that is anymore, really. I don't say that out of self pity, I just am honestly so exhausted all the time that it doesn't really matter and I don't take the time to do anything about it. But the other day I found myself feeling a little lonely with nobody to call, and that was kind of sad. I think people tire of inviting me to social events, because half the time I can't go anyway. Oh well. I suppose maybe I will find a balance to it all someday. Someday I will be able to separate my real life and my work life. It's really hard not to. Until then... well, I'll find something to do! Reading has become a great pastime!

Work this week was great! It's been awhile since I've been able to say that, and I savor every second of that because any second it can turn around and become one hell of a day or week. I get the next three days off, then I work Tuesday and then on Wednesday......... I get to see MICHAEL BUBLE!!!! Woooohooooo!!!!! The immature 15-year-old comes out in me when I think about that, and I know I will be like that that concert! I will scream until I lose my voice! Yeah!!!!!! I did it last time. Be still my heart, I cannot wait.

Well, I am off to slumberland and will be there until as late as possible tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to a good night's sleep.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Be still MY heart! One of the girls at work thought I was going to see Justin Beiber...who is like 15. Google it, pretty ridic.
Social Life: I thought it would be totally different too. I don't know where to go or what to do. I am slowly having one. S-l-o-w-l-y. Only because I'm meeting some more people at church b/c of Bible study. I don't know tho.
To bed with me!! Work to be done tomorrow!

Allison said...

Be still MY heart! One of the girls at work thought I was going to see Justin Beiber...who is like 15. Google it, pretty ridic.
Social Life: I thought it would be totally different too. I don't know where to go or what to do. I am slowly having one. S-l-o-w-l-y. Only because I'm meeting some more people at church b/c of Bible study. I don't know tho.
To bed with me!! Work to be done tomorrow!