Friday, October 23, 2009

Well, not much to update on in my life, but I thought I'd write a quick post. I've had a good couple of weeks, with the exception of certain days at work... specifically my 3 in a row this past weekend that was (and I don't exaggerate) horrible. Thankfully it was followed by 2 days off, 2 days on, and now 4 days off! I slept like a rock last night, especially after being at work until 8:30. Yeah, you can say a crazy day- started out great until about 4 o'clock everything started piling up and there wasn't enough time to get it done.

I really am enjoying work. Sometimes when I tell people about it I think I must be giving an awful picture of it. Really, it's not bad. It's beyond stressful some days, but the rewards are pretty great. I don't mean monetary, but just knowing that you have made someone's day or their experience a little bit better. I had an older patient yesterday who I could hardly understand, and it seemed nobody really listened to him- but I asked him all about his past life to find out he used to ride motorcycles, sports cars, play jazz and ragtime piano, and guitar- rock'n'roll being his favorite kind of music. I could tell he loved remembering, and I wonder how many people take just a few minutes to listen. I hope I can keep that mindset. I also hope that I don't get to a point where I would rather give a patient Ativan before letting them talk through their fears and anxieties. Of course, most patients would rather have the Ativan, but still. I'm somewhat disillusioned by the lack of compassion I see at times among some medical professionals. These patients are people, and no matter how drug-seeking they may seem, or annoying and mean that they are, they are people and they are hurting inside and out.

Ok, off my soap box. Maybe I'm just not jaded yet. I hope that doesn't happen. I am already finding myself to be so over-stressed when I get home that I am snapping at people, and just feel angry for no reason. I feel as though I have no outlet for the stress.

I'm thinking of going to the pumpkin patch today. I'm ready for some fall! We ate dinner at the Kerchers' a couple of nights ago, and it was as fall-y as it gets. Loved it!

And I'm dressing up Star Wars with Tricia and Alex next week... any ideas? Tricia wants me to be Princess Leia, which I think I could pull off maybe, but that's not really much fun. Oh well, maybe I'll bust out my old elf cape and be a Jedi. We'll see. Anyway, I need to go now because I said at the beginning that this would be short and it most definitely has not been. Good bye!

4 comments:

Li said...

Leia would be coo, but only if you could do the cinnabon hair. :) And I am always a fan of dressing up as a Jedi. Hey, if you could bring yourself to go as a Sith, contact my parents and they can send you my huge black cloak!!!

It's awesome. I made it for Harry Potter Week. At Work. Really. I love Harry Potter Weeks at Turner-Dodge. :)

Li said...

Um, I meant 'cool' not 'coo'. Nice spelling, Lindsey...

Oh, and my word verification is 'sperm'. The first real word I get and it's 'sperm'???? Seriously?????

Natalie said...

I would so borrow it if I could! Do you really think they'd send it down? I could pay them postage. That'd be awesome! Um... I wish I could dress up Harry Potter but that's not allowed at the church party. Yes, I'm only dressing up for that cause I'm working on Halloween and the 1st. Awesome. But at least I can dress up the 30th.

Li said...

Well, if they could get access to it, they would. I can totally check to see where the box is and see if they can mail it. It should be pretty light.