Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Today in the midst of stress, craziness, yelling doctors, and busyness, a random patient said to me, "Smile, it could be worse!" And though I detest the occasional jibe at my lack of smiley-ness, it actually improved my outlook and was something I needed to hear for that moment. Work was crazy today, yet still a good day. A good day because I learned so much more about the whole process of being a nurse than I ever have before. Yesterday I was feeling as discouraged as ever about work. I have a terrible tendancy to get down on myself for no reason, to become anxious for nothing, and worry myself over things I don't need to worry about. Today I'm exhausted, but I do feel pretty good. Accomplished?

Odd experience- a student was there today. She helped me and my preceptor with patients, and I felt badly because she wasn't getting to do much since I'm still new and need to learn the ropes by doing as much as possible. So I decided to let her give some meds. When I asked her teacher if it was ok, she said to me, "Sure, as long as you quiz her on them and make sure she knows them!" And that was WEIRD, because I think the reality of not being a student anymore, the reality that I'm a nurse, really hit at that moment. Wasn't I just being quizzed over meds? I remember feeling so stupid barely a year ago because I couldn't remember certain things. Of course, there is still so much I do not know. I have learned a hundred new things every day. Sometimes I have to re-learn some too...

Needless to say, the job is going well, even if it is really stressful. The other nurses are great, always willing to lend a hand when I need it. My preceptor has been charge nurse a few times, and so I have had different nurses be preceptors for me. It has been awesome to see how everybody has their own way of doing things, and picking up on the methods that work for me. Now, off to sleep!

1 comment:

Allison said...

I feel stupid now, so don't even go there.