Discipline for skipping meals? Going to bed starving, my stomach feeling like it was eating itself? Eating the smallest portions I possibly could? Fasting as long as I could after bingeing or overeating? Exercising even through injuries, bad weather, or skipping out on events with friends so I could get that exercise in? Always looking for the next diet that would finally cure me of all my food issue?
And I look at those things as positive?
Those things stole so much life from me. It's easy to look at an old picture of a smaller version of me and see someone who was prettier, healthier, happier, etc. I have to remind myself of how much I was shrinking--not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I was hiding away from taking up space in the world.
And so today, yes-- I am bigger. I struggle every day with giving my body what it needs. It probably sounds odd coming from someone who struggles with bingeing and overeating that in all actuality, I eat in a restrictive way most of the time. Not just restrictive in portions, but restrictive thinking includes your attitude and mindset while you are eating the "unhealthy" things as well. While I might be "allowing" those things in your diet, I still have a restrictive mindset around them.
There's so much more I could say, but there's a lot of things I still have a hard time talking about.
I just want to remember today that I am more than a body. My body is no more than a vessel that carries me around. The fact that that body looks different today than it did a year or two ago changes nothing about who I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment