Monday, February 16, 2015

Whole30: Day 15!

Life goes on, despite our circumstances and feelings.  I'm working on moving beyond what cannot be changed... but in the meantime the everyday mundane-ness continues.

I am now on day 15 of my Whole30 experience.  After today ends, I will officially be halfway through!  Yeah!!!

Honestly, it hasn't been nearly as hard as I was expecting.  Like I said, the first few days were a bit difficult.  And there have been moments of frustration since then.  But I think the first key to a successful Whole30 is 100% commitment.  You have to go into this knowing you are not going to cheat once for 30 days.  Most fad "diets" encourage cheat meals or days, or they're so depriving and limiting that you're almost powerless to resist cheats.  But this?  Combine the commitment to not cheat with the fact that you actually won't really have cravings, and it's much easier to be successful.

So in the past two weeks, I've definitely learned a lot.  I've learned how to eat real food.  I've learned how to cook better, tastier food than I ever have before (and I've actually learned how to taste food!).  I've learned what true fullness feels like.  For the first time in my life, my brain actually receives the signal of satisfaction from my stomach.  I've also learned, however, that I couldn't live 100% this restrictive in my daily life.  I went to Seattle yesterday, and found myself increasingly frustrated by the lack of options in choices at restaurants.  I had to question what every food was cooked in.  Order my burger with a lettuce wrap (I'm sorry... but that just doesn't cut it).  Staff didn't understand what I was asking for... when I asked for good paleo options around town, we were given the name of vegan restaurants.  By this time I was starving and very frustrated.  I only stuck to it because I made this 30 day commitment.

However, I know that the way I eat will be forever changed.  I do plan on following many of the guidelines outlined in Whole30.  And that's the point.  They don't make this plan to be followed 365 days of the year.  I don't know yet what my diet will look like after the next 15 days is over.  I know it won't be this restrictive, but it will look much different than it did 15 days ago.

The 2nd key to a successful Whole30 is do it with a friend!  I'll write more on that another time.

No comments: