Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I know I shouldn't worry about how others perceive me.  I should only worry about the good that I am doing, about how I treat others.  But there are times I do wonder what kind of a failure other see me as. And it's silly, because I'm in a successful career, financially independent-- all the things that say I'm a success.  And to the general world, this is true.

But among family and friends, I can't help but wonder what they truly think of me and the fact that here I am, almost 26, never really dated much, not hitched, single.  Old maid is the first thing that comes to mind, though I'm not old.  But most of my friends from childhood are all married.  Most of my cousins are married or were married by my age.  And this thing, this seemingly unattainable status of "married," something that will always elude me, will always be the thing I am measured by.  I'm sure of it, whether or not it's true.

A couple weeks ago I ran into someone from my parents' church.  And he came up to me, the first thing he says-- "I pray for your future spouse."  ....Ok?  Thanks?  It was so awkward and I didn't know what else to say.  It just seems that people feel sorry for me, and that's all they really know to talk about.  Whether I'm dating someone.  This is something that should define me.

But it doesn't.  Being single doesn't either, at least not in my mind.  But to others, my being single defines me.  It's difficult to explain to people that I'm happy where I'm at in life.  That I'm doing things, making something of myself.  That I'm having fun and loving being independent, traveling.  The thing is, I want to meet someone.  I want to get married.  But I don't talk about it a lot because I don't want discontent to be the theme of my life.  It's a theory of mine that people who are unhappy by themselves will usually be unhappy with somebody else.  And it isn't fair to place all of my hopes and dreams on a man.  Because I wouldn't want that placed on me.

Just like I can't be somebody's everything, I can't have a man be my everything.  I can't.  And maybe I won't ever get married for that reason.  And that's ok.  It doesn't mean I'll never get lonely.  It doesn't mean I won't wish to get married.  But I would love it if this wasn't what people always asked me about.  Will I be 35 and people still walking up to me randomly telling me they pray for my future spouse?  Will they still be asking me if I'm dating someone, or when I'm going to get married?

I guess I should just let it all roll off my back.  Anyone else deal with this?

1 comment:

Li said...

All the time...! But wow that one sounds like a creep... I don't get where people get off saying stuff like that. It happened in college ("do you have a boyfriend?" Was always asked before "how's school going?") and it happens to this day, which I almost find more offensive as I DO have a successful career, a busy life and I'm not sitting at home crying and mowing down chocolate bars like people assume I am...?

Whatever. I know it's hard and I know it doesn't make it any easier, but the best thing to do is to ignore those people and/or cut them off. I've jus started being very blunt with people and saying something like "that's really not my focus and its none of your business" and most people seem to realize how ridiculous they sound if you call them out on it.