Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Back Injury

So, this has been quite an eventful week for me.

I know I talked about injuring my back sometime over the end of last week or the weekend (not really sure what I did).  The last time I worked was Thursday night, and I started getting just the slightest twinge in my back on Saturday evening.  I didn't really think anything of it, because I often get slight back pain after working.  On Sunday I woke up and it was still there, a little more intense, but still tolerable and nothing to keep me from going about my regular activities.  I didn't even really notice it too much.

I took a nap in the late afternoon, as my sleep schedule was still messed up.  When I woke up from it, I still couldn't believe how much my back hurt.  As the evening went on, it just kept getting a little more intense.  Around ten pm or so it was starting to transition from soreness into pain.  So I knew I was in for one of those episodes I seem to go through every year or so, where my back just hurts and I have to suck it up and get through it.

My sister called me later and I told her about the pain.  I started to realize how bad it was when she made me laugh and my back spasms got worse.  Then I decided to get off the couch and go to bed, where I could stay until the morning when I could get to a doctor.  I couldn't make it up, and ended up on the floor.  For the next hour and a half, unable to move.  I finally started inching my way toward my room, and managed to pull myself up to a semi-standing position.  I'd say the intensity of pain at this point was probably an 8.  Just the pressure of being upright sent shooting pain through my back.  I was already contemplating calling 911 because I just wanted relief and I couldn't walk to my car to drive myself to the ER.  But decided to suck it up and wait for someone to help me in the morning.

My mom came over to help me to an urgent care clinic.  I had her bring crutches, because I felt that if I had something to lean on and take the pressure off my back, I might make it to the car.  Wrong.  I didn't make it out the door of my room before everything started going black.  I'm so thankful my mom was here.  I keep thinking what if that had happened when I was by myself?  We had to call 911 at that point to get an ambulance to pick me up and take me to the ER.  It was frustrating to do, because I knew I didn't really need emergency care.  But I needed a way to make it somewhere that I could get what I needed, and it wasn't going to happen short of being rolled out on a stretcher.

So, all these cute guys in my messy apartment... that wasn't the best experience of my life.  I couldn't even put on a bra thanks to the pain, let alone pick up the underwear strewn on the floor.  Hey, it's life when you live by yourself!  Anyway, I got the medication I needed in the ER, they x-rayed just to be safe and all my labs were normal.  I still hobbled out of the ER, but at least I could move at that point.

Today I am still sore.  I would have been scheduled to work tonight, but the doctor said to not go in any earlier than Friday.  I'm not scheduled to work Friday, but if I'm not feeling sore anymore I may pick up a shift.  Otherwise, I won't be at work until Saturday.  I will request to not be given a very heavy team due to not wanting to strain my back.

I have to say, that was a scary experience.  I love living by myself, but being unable to move or do anything, and no one there to help me, was scary.  I had gotten out of bed twice (with tremendous effort) in the night because I had left ibuprofen on the bathroom sink, and the latch was locked on the front door and I knew by morning I wouldn't be able to get up to unlock it.  When I say that pain was the worst pain I've ever experienced, I am not exaggerating.  I hope I never have to experience it again. I wouldn't wish it even on my worst enemy.  Thank goodness I'm recovering.

And I find out that my dad and his brother have had chronic back issues since they were in college.  Whoopdee doo, thanks great genes!

No comments: