Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Helpers

Every time something horrible happens, I find myself despairing over how horrible people can be.  At times it seems that the bad people do outweigh the good.  I don't watch the news on purpose, because it only reminds me of how evil the world really is.  Though there are more good people than bad, it just seems that a little evil goes a long, long way.  And it sucks.

I have to remind myself that although one coward (or two or three or more, we don't know at this point) planted those bombs, there were even more people at that race who were heroic and brave, who put their lives at risk and ran toward the explosion instead of away from it in order to help others.  That's what comforts me when I feel despair over the evil in the world.

It just seems that in the face of evil, what good can really be done?  I can certainly go on with my day to day life doing good, but I can't keep something so horrible from happening.  I just wish people would put down their weapons and ideologies, lay aside their hate, and care about one another.  

My thoughts and prayers are with victims' families, the injured, and their families as well.  With the heroes who ran toward the destruction to help those who were hurt.  With the doctors and nurses who went above and beyond in their jobs, so that they could help the critically injured.

This quote by Mr. Rogers really sums it up for me, and is comforting:

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers.  You will always find people who are helping.'  To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words, and am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers-- so many caring people in this world." -Mr. Rogers

And so the helpers-- the police men, the security at the race, the fire fighters, the national guard, the civilian runners who helped, the doctors and the nurses--and the helpers everywhere else-- there are more of them than there are the bad guys.  It's funny how this isn't just advice for kids.  It's really something we all need to remember and find comfort in.