Thursday, October 4, 2012


The first thing I have to say after watching this video, is a resounding AMEN.

It must be noted that Jennifer Livinston invited the writer of the letter, Kenneth Krause, on to discuss the attacks, but he didn't.  He stands by his remarks.  All I can say is, what a jerk.  If somebody is overweight, don't you think they know that??  Who does he think he is, pointing it out for her and then going on to tell her she is an unsuitable role model simply for being fat in a public position?

I think what makes me angriest about this, is that you would never see an overweight male news anchor receive this letter.  I don't recall anybody caring that Al Roker was overweight several years ago.  It's the cultural obsession we have with women's bodies being perfect that drives this.  I'm not saying that men and boys who are fat don't get bullied, because they do.  I know those who have.  But in the public eye, it truly is the women who suffer when it comes to body image.  Say what you will, but it is the truth.

I'm not saying men don't feel pressure to look a certain way.  I know that as far as body building goes, guys can get addicted to that because of the pressure to be muscular and built.  But I can't speak from that perspective, so I won't.

I'll only say that as a woman, there is an intense pressure to not only be thin, but still have that hourglass figure.  Have the right cup size.  But your legs need to be long too, so wear heels and they'll look longer.  But don't be too tall (ok, maybe this is one only for the tall girls).  We hate our hip size, our "mama's arms," our size, our noses, our hair, our boobs.  Why do you think women constantly dye, straighten, perm, curl, their hair?  There is an astounding number of women who get boob jobs.  In my work experience, I've known a few who have.  Why?  Who says that a 32A is the wrong size?  I guess society does, I don't know.  But something makes us think there is something "wrong" with the way we look.  Last year my friend and I were talking about a particular female band, and when mentioning one I said, "It's the one whose eyes are too close together."  Then I thought, who says whether someone's eyes are too close together or too far apart?  By what standard am I measuring something like that?

Well, anyway, these are some seriously disorganized thoughts but after that story was out yesterday I have been thinking a lot more about the whole idea of body image.

I'm looking in the mirror, and I am going to try my best to not have any standard that I'm measuring myself up against.  Anyway, most of those standards are fake.

No comments: