Last week, I took care of a 91 year old lady. Little old ladies, they always want to know about your marital status. Then they like to tell you that you are a beautiful girl and they don't know WHY you aren't married yet. This lady, however, after I told her that no, I wasn't married, she thought about it for a minute and said, "You are a wonderful girl and let me tell you, if you go the whole rest of your life and you stay single, you will be okay!"
Course, I'm wondering do I take this as an insult or compliment? But really, I knew what she meant and I thanked her for saying so kindly what others won't (especially of her generation). People in general, though I know they are trying to be helpful, are uncomfortable with the idea of a woman who is happy with herself as is. The response is almost always, "Oh, honey, you just wait and someday when you least expect it the right man will come along!" The problem with that statement, is it just isn't true for everyone, and the people saying it can't guarantee that it is. Not everyone is going to find "the one." Sometimes people don't find the one until they are older after living for many years single.
Maybe it's just an overall awkward subject and people just don't know what to say, so they say the first silly thing that comes to mind. I suppose I should give people a little more credit. I mean, I don't really know what people should say. But feeling sorry for me and trying to sympathize when no sympathy is needed is pretty annoying. Do I want to get married? Hell yeah! I hope it happens. I hope it happens sooner rather than later, don't get me wrong. But in the meantime, I'm not sitting around feeling sorry for myself and neither should anyone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment