I'm currently reading Dearie- a biography about Julia Child.
Though not really into cooking so much, I've always looked up to Julia Child as role model and someone I could relate to. Having not gotten married until she was 34, she had many years of somewhat independent living (she came from money, and social standards of the day meant it wasn't so unusual for a single woman to still receive financial help from their parents). On top of that, she didn't even find her calling until well into her thirties. She worked a job that required her to travel and saw so much of the world. Of course, can't talk about Julia Child without mentioning her height as a fellow tall woman- 6'2. If I think it's frustrating being a tall woman today, I can't even imagine what it was like for Julia and her sister trying to navigate the world of dating in the 30s and 40s. Both married shorter men than themselves.
The book is very interesting and I've only gotten so far as her work overseas with the OSS. Already in her thirties, yet so much more to her story to come. I hope someday, people can say that about me.
I hope that one day at the end of my life, I can say I've lived it to the fullest. I want to travel. I have such an itch to see the world, that I'm often tempted to up and buy a plane ticket to who-knows-where and just do it by myself. I want experiences of different cultures, people from other places, to get out of my own narrow American view of the world.
I think travel nursing may just satisfy that itch, at least within the States, but in the meantime there are so many other places I want to go. I want to live, because stuck here, I'm not. I'm dreaming of it, yes.
1 comment:
I have wanted to read this book, but forgot about it!
Post a Comment