What a great day yesterday was. Friday night, Lauren, Sara, and I went down to Daytona Beach to stay at a friend's condo for the night. Awesome and relaxing girly time. Yesterday Allison drove up to hang out as well, and we spent the day lazing around the beach and pool and condo. And played in the waves! I have not played in the waves at the beach in a really long time. Just letting the water wash over you and riding with a wave is such a great stress buster. Of course, we had to come home last night, but we did have such a great day. I wish it could have lasted longer, as I do any awesome day, but am glad we got to do it even if it was quick. Talking, laughing, and being ridiculous is what it's all about when you're with your friends.
Second of five days comes to a close. I am trying to keep myself busy and not let myself be a couch potato. Although I haven't been too successful today, but I did go to church, spend some time with family, and get some grocery shopping done.
New obsession: Friday Night Lights. I'm completely addicted! I have spent way too much of the last two weeks watching it. I need to find a hobby, I really do!
Another little patient asked me on Friday if I was pregnant. It was actually really cute, because after she asked, she cried when I said no. And part of it was that she felt badly, but she told me that she just so wanted for me to be carrying a baby. Kind of an odd thing, but she was very sweet and wondered why in the world I could still be single. Then she asked me how I could be so confident after somebody wondered if I was pregnant even when I'm not. And I realized, it didn't even really bother me. I realized even as I said it out loud to her, that I'm actually ok with myself and the way I look. I'm done feeling sorry for myself because I'm not a size 2, I'm ok being ok with my size and shape. And what a great feeling that is! Of course, does it mean I will always feel that way? Probably not. But why should I exude insecurity and shame for the way I look? I have always thought I should explain to people that I'm "a little tubby and need to lose a little weight," like I have to prove to them I know I'm not some great catch. What the hell? I'm not talking about a false pride in pretending I'm something I'm not, but can't I look in the mirror and love what I see? Maybe this is just a pep talk to myself, because maybe the only person berating me and insulting me has been me all these years.
Ok, got that off my chest. I wish I was still laying out at the beach, but on to the next day and all it has to bring!
1 comment:
The "pregnant" comment is always tough - and I'm just happy to hear of someone who was actually upset once she said it.
And, Nat, you really shouldn't feel bad about yourself (and I'm really glad that you're not!). You're so much more than a number on a scale or a dress size. You are beautiful (and honestly, I think that most size two's look like walking skeletons) and intelligent and you've got a great heart - and that's what's most important.
Post a Comment