

Exciting hour and a half drives to Kulaqua. Waiting outside of the A-frame to get our bracelets and t-shirts. Scary swim tests in the freezing cold spring. Disgusting cafeteria food. Late nights eating candy and talking. Early mornings to be the first one in the shower. Morning chapel followed by seminars. Afternoons watching churches compete in basketball and soccer. Stalking Silers Bald. Tubing on the Itchetucknee. Yelling at concerts until we couldn't talk. Waiting in the crowds outside of chapel, and almost being trampled in the stampede when the doors opened. Cheesy themed videos. Going to the zoo. Go-karts. Horse-back riding. Oh, so many memories.
I realized today that on a normal summer in jr. high and high school, today I might have been leaving for Camp Kulaqua. I miss the anticipation of it all, the fun, the excitement. Camp was always one of the highlights of my summer. While I really don't think camp is something I would enjoy today, I do still enjoy the memories and miss them. I haven't thought about camp much in a long time.
I sometimes miss youth group. While I look back on a lot of it and definitely see it could have been done better, there are so many good memories I got from it. I got a lot of great experiences out of it that I might otherwise not have had. Days gone by...
3 comments:
I saw that picture in my blog feed and thought, is that an A frame?? Yes! Remember when we got excited to see which one we would be in? The other week I really wanted to be a camp counselor. Maybe by next year.
Summer isn't really summer any more to me. No trips to Illinois, days at the pool, beach trips, going to camp....just work now!
Awww, blast from the past! Love it.
Ach, Camp Kulaqua! So many fun (and some odd) memories!
I have to say that I still have nightmares over freezing cold swim tests. I seriously was tempted to just forgo swimming that week so I didn't have to jump into the spring...
Post a Comment