Some things I've realized this week:
Although I have known I have a problem for a few years now, enough that I knew I needed to seek help... I still think I have been in denial about just how deep seeded this really was. It's amazing what talking about it can do. I realized I've really been struggling inwardly with not feeling like I'm actually "sick enough" (i.e. dangerously underweight, hair falling out, fainting, all the typical things you think of when you hear the term eating disorder) to need this much help. I was actually starting to think maybe I blew this all out of proportion and I could just figure it out on my own. Which is messed up, I know, because while you might not look at me and think I am struggling, there is a lot more going on that people can't see on the outside.
I've learned the last couple of weeks that for some reason, this part of me is broken. My view of my body, food, hunger, etc, is completely distorted. And I honestly didn't realize just how much until I truly opened up to close friends about it over the last couple of weeks. Until now, there have been many aspects of it that I just didn't want to talk about with anyone because it was too embarrassing. But sharing so that someone else can help me bear this burden has given me a new freedom and more strength to keep working toward recovering.
I need healing. I need to take care of myself. I want to feel like a whole person again. I have a renewed hope that someday, I will get there.
No comments:
Post a Comment