Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentines, Folks!

Those pictures are from a poster presentation put on by health students at school. Blogger is being silly and I can't put captions on because it looks like a bunch of symbols until I can actually publish it (does anybody know why?). But it's just me having fun with my friends- fun amidst a somewhat stressful week, which is always welcome!

I have not gotten the studying done today that I anticipated. It seems the evening has me in somewhat of a slump- not depression, but just that "blah" feeling of not wanting to do anything. Not good when it happens midterms week, but tomorrow I will be better. I think I will spend the evening at the library.

I've still been trying out CFC, and Bela is coming with me tomorrow! So, no awkwardness! Ha! Seriously though, how does one actually get involved in a church? It is so dang intimidating! I can completely see why people don't like church.

Have you ever been to the beach at night? It is downright SCARY. I went last night with Bela and did not expect it to be so dark! I tell you, it is pitch black! We parked by most of the bars and clubs down there, so there was the light from that. The night life is so fascinating to me. I have never been one to live that life, and I find it unfathomable that people can do it every weekend. Heck, I'm usually asleep by ten o'clock on Friday! Talk about lame, I'm not even out of college yet. Isn't that not supposed to happen until you're 30?

Oh, and HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! It's a great day to be alive- I'm single and I think I can say I have gotten beyond feeling sorry for myself and to the point where I can look at it as a good thing. Melissa once pointed out to me many things I can do that a tied down/married person/mom can't do: I can go wherever I want, whenever I want (within reasonable limits of course). I have a lot of spare time to read or simply enjoy a quiet evening watching tv. I am in a position of moving into a great career (now if I'd just buckle down and STUDY!), and I will be able to move anywhere and not be tied down. I can be independent. Lastly, something I just thought of, I'm extremely selfish. Honestly, I think I'm too selfish to have a relationship because I would make it "all about me." She also told me marriage won't whisk away my problems, and she is right. I'm going to enjoy life- I'm going to love it- and I'm going to do my best to glorify God in it, married or single. And do you know what? It is ok if I am single for the rest of my life. I'm not going to say that's what I want. Yes, I want to get married. I want to so much! I pray to God that He will bring someone into my life, but He might not. Elisabeth Elliot wrote in her journals as a young woman that perhaps "the Lord wants me only for Himself." We'll see. In the meantime, I'm going to live my life for Him and enjoy it. What else can I do?

3 comments:

Callie Glorioso-Mays said...

Great reminder of the blessings of being single! I really liked the Elisabeth Elliot quote...was that from Passion and Purity? Have you read the book Lady in Waiting? You should check it out...

Love you! We NEED to catch up sometime on the phone. When is your spring break? Mine begins in 12 days (I go home on February 27th).

pannedreview said...

How is CFC going other than the extreme awkwardness of going to a new church? (Which I dread). We used to go there when I was a baby but it was meeting at a different location (off Roosevelt) at the time.

pannedreview said...

Here's an interesting article on singleness I found today: http://www.christianitytoday.com/singles/newsletter/mind40811.html