Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Haircut

Two nights ago on an impulse, I did something crazy.

Well, crazy for me.  I went to Target and bought hair shears.  I had made the decision to cut my hair.  At this point, I figured I was probably going to screw the whole thing up and have to go in and get it fixed, but I didn't care.  I was sick and tired of split ends.

Turns out when you have curly hair, giving yourself a hair cut is actually pretty easy.  If I were going for a specific style that might not be the case, but getting rid of some split ends plus another inch or two isn't really too much to manage (I cut off a total of 3 inches of length).  I had watched a tutorial on YouTube for how to cut curly hair, and so I did it.  The whole time thinking to myself, "this is probably going to turn out to be the dumbest decision I've ever made."

The hair cut turned out pretty nicely, if I do say so myself.  Not saying it's perfect, but honestly it doesn't look much different from any other hair cut I've gotten at a salon.  The nice thing with curly hair is, you don't have to worry about every single curl being the exact same length.  From one wash to the next, curls bounce and curl pattern can change, so it never looks the same anyway.  The trick to cutting it well, however, is to cut it dry and cut one curl at a time.  You can imagine this took a long time.


Ok, shameless selfie time.  Hair from the back. 

This is from tonight, after a wash.  Still pretty good length, but the ends just look so much nicer!  I will trim my own hair from now on.  No more wasting money at salons for an inch or two cut off (how annoying is that?), and no more split ends from waiting way too long to get said hair cut.  Feeling pretty proud of myself right now.

No comments: